'Waldi' Radener's FW190A8, 7/JG26 'Brown 2' pic? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
I don't suppose anyone has a picture or profile of the FW190A8, 'Brown 2', flown by Oblt. Waldemar Radener, Staffelkapitan of 7/JG26, between 13 May and 15 June 1944? This was Werke Nr. 730934, and not the 'Brown 4', Wk Nr. 340001 shown in the well know formation photograph.
'Waldi's' FW190A7, 'Brown 4' crashed on landing on 12 May and was sent away for repair, eventually being captured by the Allies. He then flew 'Brown 2', from which he bailed out following combat with P51's of 339th FG on 15 May. He was injured, and didn't return to the Geschwader for some weeks, due to catching his parachute on the aircraft, and then having a heavy landing.
I've done a fairly extensive search in books and on the net (including the JG26 War Diaries), but haven't found anything so far. I know the colour scheme, but just wanted to see if there were any distinguishing features, as there was on 'Brown 4', such as the mottle and upper decking splinter, and the Staffell number painted over a previous number and so on.
Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks H, I doubt there are any pics around, especially taking into account the short life of the aircraft. Still, I can live in hope - it's probably a better place than where I live now!!

Damn frustrating trying to find a photo/s of a certain bird when little/none exist , been here a few times

Good luck mate! hopefully someone here can help

Thanks H, that's nice of you. Waldi's 'Brown 4', although in the usual 74/75/76 colour scheme, had a fairly distinctive, and what appears to be rather heavy mottle, and the upper surface colours extended further down the fuselage than was 'normal'. Also, the Brown 4 was painted over the top of a previous number, '1', and the yellow rudder carried 21 abschuss zeichen, the latter a little unusual for that period in the war. As far as I've discovered, 'Brown 2' was a new, or new to the unit, aircraft, so I'm thinking the scheme would be 'standard factory' finish. But, 'The Law of Sods' says that, as soon as I've painted the model, a bl**dy picture will surface showing huge discrepancies in the finish!!
I want to try to get this as accurate as possible, as it will be one of a pair of FW's in a diorama portraying the wooded 'hides' at Guyancourt, France.

Hey Terry, Brown 5 in the background of photo with Brown 4 is supposedly W.Nr 730995....not far from your subject, maybe that will give you a fairly accurate guide as to the camo on the fuselage...sure there are a few pics of Brown 5....

120 aircraft produced in this block 730880 - 730999 AgoWerke - Oschersleben.

Thanks Wayne. I'd actually thought of that, but was a bit dubious as to Brown 5's true identity, as the information re its Werke Nr was in the Kagero book (or was it Mushroom? - seen so many I'm dizzy!!)). I'd checked my list of WNr's in my Nowarra book, and it tallied too. But, in Vol 2 of 'The JG26 War Diaries', Caldwell admits to an error to the caption of the same picture in his 'Top Guns...' book, and states that the other aircraft can't be positively identified, this after further research and computer enhancement. BUT, it's a good idea, and the best alternative, so I'll probably go wiith that. Thanks again mate. Might make a start over the Chrissy hols, in between a Lancaster and finishing other small jobs.

Similar to what Wayne said, of TOH they said

"Hi

This is not the answer you want, but it may be helpful: there is a well known shot of Brown 4 and also a partial shot of Brown 5 on page 255 and 233 respectively in Don Caldwell's excellent The JG 26 War Diary 1943-1945. The two aircraft seem to be more of less identical. There are also a number of profiles of each about the web.

I guess you probably know all of this, but just in case you didn't..............."

Thanks H. I'll dedfinitely be doing 'Brown 2', as Waldi's '4' was wrecked, and I'll probably risk the info on 'Brown 5' too. Got the base started - just - but with around 20 to 25 trees to hand make, before the groundwork is even started, I think it's going to be a lllllooooonnnngggg job!

Give us a little info on how you're doing the trees Terry, if you don't mind. Lichen on twigs or do you have a different method?

Patience H, that's the secret of modelling. Speed = s*it. Patience = good. It's not a race to get it finished, it's a hobby to absorb, and end up with a good, hopefully very good, result.
Andy, there's a few ways I use, some of which are shown (I think!) in Part One of my Diorama Guide, and some in the Gustav thread from about a year ago. This time around, I'll be making mainly Silver Birch, with a couple of Beech or similar. I'll be using various gauges of wire, twisted into armatures, then either tape wrapped and/ or some filler or putty. Folliage will be a mix of (possibly Sea Moss) a small basis of lichen, with some local (like Woodland Scenics) tree foliage material, and additions such as dried herbs and tea leaves etc., and if I can remember the name, or find it at the local garden centre, a type of fern which, when properly selected and mixed in, looks the biz.
This part of the build will be forming an unfinished section of the (eventually) forthcoming Part Two of the diorama guide - it's only a year late!!
BTW, in case you can't find it, here's what the 'quick' trees looked like in the Gustav thread, in 1/32nd scale.

Attachments

• 21 Gustav 327.jpg
    21 Gustav 327.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Sounds good

T- With the models the Ju-87 Damaged will be the last quick one (I hope) because it's focusing more on how to replicated damage since I may/may not do it on the B-17.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back