AN/APS-4A Radar (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Micdrow

“Archive”
Aug 21, 2006
Wisconsin
Any body know more about the AN/APS-4A Radar. Range and such? Ive seen it mounted on the TBF Avengers. Was the Avenger used as a night fighter or just a night scout.

Thanks

Micdrow

Attachments

• scan0011.jpg
    scan0011.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,184
If it was used as a night fighers I think I would rather go with this one as a night figher though.

Micdrow

Attachments

• scan0012.jpg
    scan0012.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,579
AN/APS-4 also known as ASH
X-Band Intercept Radar; manufactured by Western Electric; used in C-47, C-117, P-38J, P-82D/F/H, AD, XBT2C-1, F4U-4E, F6F-3E/5E, SB2C-5, SBF-4E, TBF-3, TBM-3S; British designation is AI Mk XV

for more technical info see also here:
US Radar: Operational Characteristics of Radar Classified by Tactical Application [FTP 217]

The ASH was originaly designed as ASV radar, but could be used for AI. I read that Avenger was used for night AI as a "hunter" with two daily Hellcats as a "killer".

A simplified display system was fitted to the AN/APS-4 to produce the AN/APS-6, also known as the AIA-1. The new display, which was only about 5 centimeters (2 inches) in diameter, effectively made the AN/APS-6 a "radar gunsight", allowing a fighter pilot to use the radar himself without need for a radar operator.

I worked on APS-4 for a year with CASU31 at Hilo and taught it for a year or so at Corpus Christi, NATTC. I don't remember a lot but I can't imagine a TBF being used for a night fighter. It was too slow. I remeber the '4 had an AI function. I only saw the APS on TBF/TBM torpedo bombers and SB2C dive bombers. The picture of the F4U looks like it had an AI radar vice an APS4. The '4 was hung on hard points under the wing and could be dropped if necessary. Web Brown

In his book about the development of nightfighters Bill Gunston mentions that a F6F-5 was equipped with one radar scanner pod on each wing. What could have been the purpose of such dual installation?

The radar equipped TBF was used to guide day fighters to night intercepts. That is how Butch O'Hare was killed. He was being guided by a TBF and the gunner in the TBF mistook him for an enemy aircraft.

Turns out I have a copy of a book on night TBM's and F6F's.

BatmenBook-2.jpg

BatmenBook-1.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back