Is this setup FuG 218 or FuG220 SN2 + FuG202/FuG212?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

jjp_nl

Staff Sergeant
Apr 13, 2011
I'm doing some research on the BF-110G-4 werk.nr 140655 <<< G9+AA of Hans-joachim Jabs bacause I'm thinking about building a model of the a/c Jabs pulled of a bit of a stunt with in April '44. Basically he was caught by a flight of Spitfire's upon returning from a daylight transit/training (?) mission, but managed to blast two Spitfires from the sky before being forced to belly land his own crate (dunno if it was due to combat damage or because getting on the ground ASAP (and therefore doing a wheels up landing in the nearest suitable spot) seemed the smartest thing to do after temporary overwhelming/surprising the Spitfires)

I've found a few pic's of Jabs' wrecked plane on the net (the overview seems to mach the code of Jabs plane including the chevron marking of a Geschwaderkommodore, which Jabs became a few weeks prior to this event) but the pic of the nose section said to be of Jabs' a/c seems a bit confusing to me given the captions that came with it. It stated that it was the nose of Jabs' a/c with provisions for FuG 218 Neptun radar visible, however I'm wondering if the FuG 218 Neptun was even available to night fighter crews in April '44 at all? I haven't been able to find much on it, but I read somewhere that the FuG 218 Neptun did not become available until late '44, so I'm inclined to think this a/c was rather equiped with SN2 with an additional FuG202/FuG212 aerial in the middle to compensate for insufficient minimum range of the SN2. Also, carefully looking at the overview pic of the wreckage I think I'm seeing some remains of aerials, which given the angle at which they sit look like upper nose remains of SN2 Aerials.

On the other hand, Jabs being among the top scoring crews, could he have been given the opportunity to take a new radar device (the FuG 218 ) into combat (maybe to test it) way before it became more generally available.

1-Bf-110G-NJG1-(G9+AA)-Hans-Joachim-Jabs-WNr140655-02.jpg

1-Bf-110G4-Stab-NJG1-(G9+AA)-Hans-Joachim-Jabs-WNr140655-01.jpg

Last edited:
the lower foto is from May 1945 in Sweden and Jabs was not flying it. His radar op escaped flying this crate which indeed was fitted with FuG 218 Neptun. the foto sis attributed to Herr Widtfeldt.

the Spitfire incident: was probably both the earliest FuG 220 set with center pole provision of the earlier FuG 212

the lower foto is from May 1945 in Sweden and Jabs was not flying it. His radar op escaped flying this crate which indeed was fitted with FuG 218 Neptun. the foto sis attributed to Herr Widtfeldt.

the Spitfire incident: was probably both the earliest FuG 220 set with center pole provision of the earlier FuG 212

Thanks for the extra information! Seems indeed likely that that was the setup of the radar devices found on Jabs a/c in early '44. Guess the Eduard kit provides multiple SN2 dipoles, but I need to look into the FuG 212 center antenna.

Do you happen to know if pics of Jabs a/c exist, and if the information regarding werk.nr is correct of around the time of the 'Spitfire' incident? I've looked through the Meier Stipdonk series of books, but non are to be found there as far as I can tell. I'm thinking the use of the chevron marking and G9+AA are pretty much correct for the NJG.1 Geschwaderkommodore. color is a bit uncertain from what I've gathered sofar as there were apparently regulations for it making it at least partly green, however I've read some eye-witness accounts of surviving ground crew member stating that the use of grey and black were more common if not more sensible for a night fighting unit (despite the regulations)

Last edited:
not sure if there are pics of Jabs A/C during the Spitfire killing though may indeed be in the hands of private researchers or NJG 1 veterans. AA maybe green or a grey anything is possible really, many colours in 45 were just changed to simple black including the while code and Balkenkreuz outline on the fuselage. Including the << might be pure speculation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back