First post: finucanes spitfire mkvb

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

cornflake kid

Recruit
Sep 16, 2011
Hi all

Im currently getting back into profile drawing since doing it as a kid with pencils,curves etc... (old skool),
and working on the profile of Brendan Finucane's Spitfire MKVB from 452 Sqn 1941.

currently my work is very much in progress, just not sure on the the actual profile (ive redrawn in illustrator from so many different sources my head is spinning)
anyone her be able to guide me in the right direction, rivets, panel lines, shape etc...
Untitled-0.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg

cheers

Welcome to the forum. You have a compatriot (Gerry) who's looking to do a model of that particular aircraft so this will be a welcome post for him.

Nice work you're doing there. I used to do some pencil profiles when I was in high school many years ago.

Hi and welcome to the Forum. I've always wondered who drew up the profiles - and how. I think I'm the only other Irish person currently active on this Forum.

As Andy (Crimea_River) mentioned, I'm researching one of Brendan's MkVbs to build in 1/48 scale in the 'Start to Finish Builds' threads. If you check it out, you'll understand there are still great gaps in the accuracy of a lot of the information posted on the internet. It's all down to dilligent research. I've found that the members of this Forum are very generous in sharing their research, much of which has obviously been built up over many years, so is probably going to be as accurate as you'll get - and in some recent builds I've logged, more accurate than some published sources.

Good luck with your project, and if I have, or dig up, any references I think might be useful, I'll post them to the thread.

It's normal courtesy to say "Thank you," if someone helps.

Hi Edgar

Your absolutely right, thanks..
Havent been on this site since i posted so missed this, busy with kids...

@Gerry - how are you progressing with your model.?

When i get back to this profile ill update this thread...

Hi Njaco

cheers for that....
planning on working away on my profile at lunch today so hopefully be able to post up some wip.
still not sure of the accuracy, but will push on.. want to finish it and get one finally completed.

also thinking of adding a pencil sketch of brandan to the profile.. first things first though...

yep ive seen claves work on other forums also..
so my lunchtime efforts... ( admittedly redrew the plane and changed colours a while back, worked on the wheel and markings today)

spit03.jpg

spit04.jpg

Last edited:
I believe the aft fuselage band is sposta be vertical.
Carb scoop also looks a touch too long but that might be just my bad memory.

Cool profiles. I need to do something similar for a 3D model of a Mk.IXc.

- Ivan.

hey thanks Ivan

i read somewhere that this plane, unusually had a slightly diagonal tail band... also the camo pattern was inverted (like ive drawn)..... can anyone shed any further info on this?
will look at the scoop again, when im back up working around the nose.. :)

what software you using for 3d?

Hello Cornflake Kid,

I build a few 3D models for Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator. The software is Aicraft Factory 99 by Abacus. I also do some post processing using something called SCASM. It doesn't produce very detailed models, but it is pretty much limited by the simulator.

- Ivan.

Attachments

• Spitfire_IX_Boarding.jpg
    Spitfire_IX_Boarding.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 216
  • Spitfire_IX_LFHigh.jpg
    Spitfire_IX_LFHigh.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 201
  • Spitfire_IX_RFLow.jpg
    Spitfire_IX_RFLow.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 206
Hello Cornflake Kid,

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, everything I have ever built is for CFS1.

- Ivan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back