1/750 HMAS Sydney, the aircraft carrier - Unofficial GB. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

parsifal

Colonel
Apr 6, 2008
Orange NSW
This is a model i bought last year from le Arsenal. it cost a bomb, because they are fairly rare. I plan to paint and finish her in the colours that applied in 1951 (conversiuon of the HMS Glory).

Reg" Lascelles, a former crew member, recently said of his time in Korea ;

"You will see driving along roads under construction signs stating that radios should be turned off as explosives are being used. This turns my mind back to Korea. Carrier personnel are aware that transmission aerials are positioned on the Port side of the flight deck and are about 20 feet high. While not flying aircraft, the aerials are in a vertical position and when flying is being undertaken, are placed in a horizontal position. After the sorties of the day had been completed the aerials would be raised so that normal transmissions could take place. It became normal practice at that period for returning aircraft to be re-spotted, re-armed and re-fuelled for early morning take-off for what was colloquially referred to as the Milk Run over Korea. During this period the Armament Department got into full swing, usually at dusk, with gun changes, loading cannon shells and 60 pound rocket projectiles with their high explosive (HE) heads into each aircraft. Rockets were loaded onto rails under the wings, 6 rails taking 2 rockets each, making 12 rockets per aircraft. At the rear end of the rails were sockets into which the leads for each rocket were plugged. As a safety precaution, into each socket a small globe was inserted. If, for any reason, the globe lit up, that part of the equipment was deemed to be faulty and would be replaced. The globes would remain in the sockets until the aircraft had been positioned on the catapult for take-off. Prior to this, happening, each aircraft would be rechecked while the engine was being run up to ensure that no fault was recorded. When the Leading Armourer was satisfied that all was well, the globes would be removed and the firing leads plugged into the sockets. The rockets were then ready for firing.

Now, to go back to the flight deck. The ship is blacked out. All aircraft have been checked and reloaded. Those not on duty are asleep. Some are still working in the hangar repairing flak and other damage to aircraft. The ship is steaming along. Across the flight deck came two armourers. They stopped in their tracks as they sighted two small lights flashing on and off. This was caused by the aerials being raised to the vertical position and the ship transmitting signals. Can you imagine what would have happened if they had have been plugged into the firing circuits?. Each of the aircraft, with 12 rockets, all pointing at the Bridge of HMAS Sydney !!!. The rearming procedures were changed post haste with no rearming carried out in darkness. A valuable lesson had been learned on the dangers of radio transmissions and explosives".

This build daunts me to be honest, and it will take some time, something i dont have a lot of these days. Many of the components are tiny, almost microscopic, and the instructions on the build are very poor. but i want to give it a go. i had friends that served on the Sydney (or the Nung Tau Ferry as she was referred to). Her career as a carrier was cut short because her deck was not angled, and this prevented her operating the more modern jet engined aircraft entering service in the mi 50's. But she did serve in two wars,and served Australia well in my opinion

The opening shot ive attached is the hull section, which ive placed next to a nearly complete 9and very bad) model of the USS Constellation. They are roughly the same scale (Constellation is 1:850, Sydney is 1:750). There was a reason why USN pilots ohn exchange refused to land on either the Sydney or thge sister Melbourne)

Attachments

• 102_2777.jpg
    102_2777.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 295
Last edited by a moderator:
some additional shots of the kit ive purchased, as well as the aircraft of the Constellation (which im still finishing)

Attachments

• 102_2782.JPG
    102_2782.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 275
  • 102_2778.JPG
    102_2778.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 271
  • 102_2779.JPG
    102_2779.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 230
  • 102_2780.JPG
    102_2780.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 243
  • 102_2781.JPG
    102_2781.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 241
and some more ........

Attachments

• 102_2788.JPG
    102_2788.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 229
  • 102_2783.JPG
    102_2783.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 228
  • 102_2785.JPG
    102_2785.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 224
  • 102_2786.JPG
    102_2786.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 214
  • 102_2787.JPG
    102_2787.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 286
a few more

Attachments

• 102_2790.JPG
    102_2790.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 224
  • 102_2789.JPG
    102_2789.JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 234
Should be a good one Michael, and great background info regarding the potential hazards of extraneous radio emissions.
Both the models side by side show just how bl**dy big Constellation is in comparison to Glory/Sydney, more so as Sydney is in a slightly larger scale!
I think I have some shots of Sea Furies on deck aboard HMAS Sydney if you need them.

Update

Well, none really, but i intend to get a bit started durng the GB for the eastern front that upcoming. I havent abandoned this project, but i always knew it would be delayed because of time demands

That is one hell of a kit Michael and a good intro. I'll be watching with interest as I have the USS Indianapolis in my stash with a ton of PE, brass and resin, so it will be interesting to see how all yours fits together.

some visual references I want to post. I think I will be in a position to make a start on this long delayed project as ive nearly finished my 'official " group build entry at this point.

ANMM - HMAS SYDNEY III mopdel images - Cutting Edge Models

HMAS Sydney Model is Amazing | Fleet Air Arm Association of Australia

Here is the video of max montagues model, currently on exhibit at the FAA museum at nowra

hmas sydney III models - Bing video

ModelWarships reveiw

At this point I think the first thing to do will be to get my ocean background done. I have some ideas now on a "poor mans" ocean using plaster of paris, and crumpled aluminium foil to get the ocean effect Im looking for.

Tech Tips: Realistic Sea Bases

SYDNEY light aircraft carriers (1949-1955) - Australian Navy (Australia)

Last edited:
I posted those links to make it easier to refer back to them for finish details like armament layout. I also need to check the flight deck line work matches up

The kit I have is for HMS Glory, a sister ship, but with some detail differences that I hope to correct. As if this project didn't have enough challenges. ......

Oka, ive made a bit of a start by fabricating the ocen base. Looks okay for a cheap and nasty effort. I will need to finish this off with some sort of filler under the model, which I might try to make look like bow and stern white foam. I'm still debating wheter I need to apply some sort of clear resin or varnish to increase the ocean glassy look.

Anyway here are the opening progress shots, such as they are....

Base.jpg

Base (II).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back