Designing a siggy need help (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vic Balshaw

Major General
Jul 20, 2009
Canberra
Help need guys, with the challenge for a Xmas siggy, can anyone show me or point me in the direction of how to make the graphics for a good siggy. My current one was very much a heath robinson effort.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

Well, it depends on how much detail you wish to have...

Mine was pretty complex, but there's some that simply took a nice winter scene (a Mossy in a snowy field) and placed Holiday greetings with thier name on it...

And I like the sig you have now, by the way, I think it came out nicely.

I just want to be able to make my own with a little help maybe from a base picture from surfing the internet. The current one was painstakingly made using Microsoft Paint. What would be ideal is software that's reasonably simple to use for someone with two left thumbs and a finger.

Thank also for the complement.

I know some of the guys like to use a program called "GIMP", it's pretty easy to use and has a number of useful features.

The basic method would be to find an nice image, and then use the imaging program to adjust the size (either by cropping, or resizing) and then adding the text of your choice, in the color and "font style" of your choice.

I personally don't use GIMP, as I primarily use Photoshop and Paintshop for my imaging, but I've seen great results by those that do. If memory serves me right (which is rare), NJACO uses GIMP and has made some really cool sigs with it.

If you want, find an image that you'd like to make a sig with, and we can walk you through it.

Thanks GG, that's a great offer, I'll look for something useful while you guys have a good TG. BTW I also have Paintshop on my system, but I'm not very versed with it even though I've tried to do things with the help of the site instructions, they confused me.

What do you want to know VB ? I have a little bit experience of the Photoshop program. So I can try to help.

Wojetk, many thanks for the offer it's very much appreciated. This is not a priority so if you have other things to do I'm quite happy just to work and practice on what you will have shown me.

In respect of Photoshop, I'm very ignorant of it's capabilities and find the on-line instructions confusing. What I would like to do is just take a .jpg file picture and enhance it's appearance by just making the corner or side curl inwards with appropriate shading and be able to select a font and add text with coloured and shading and add some form of symbols onto the picture.

Do you mean the effect of the folded corner like in my siggy?

Yes or similar. Wojetk, you must be on night shift or like to burn the midnight oil? BTW, love your Christmas siggy, very festive

Yes or similar. Wojetk, you must be on night shift or like to burn the midnight oil? BTW, love your Christmas siggy, very festive

Thank you .:D

A night shift is Lucky 13's speciality.However being on duty I'm working untill two at night or sometimes longer.That's way I'm still on. But tonight I'm tired so I'll hit a sack soon.

Concerning the folded corner... the Photoshop doesn't support with its options obtaining a such effect automatically. But it is possible to make this "on food". If I find some time I can show you how to achieve the effect. What version of PS do you have on your HDD installed?

They were pretty happy to see us :D

One was in Germany on foreign exchange so I missed her this summer, but the 18 year old is his normal, tough self. :lol:

Tomorrow, I can't wait! Football with my dad, brothers, cousins, friends, and uncles.... then TURKEY TIME!

But I am really bored as of now because my older brother and my older cousin are playing video games.. :D

Thank you .:D

Concerning the folded corner... the Photoshop doesn't support with its options obtaining a such effect automatically. But it is possible to make this "on food". If I find some time I can show you how to achieve the effect. What version of PS do you have on your HDD installed?

Thanks Wojetk. I have version 6.0 that's not supported as it was loaded for me to play with prior to possibly purchasing a copy, but having problems understanding it and it's cost as new wasn't worth me digging deep into my pocket. My version also has problems with not being able to find PLUGIN.dll, not being able to load the FastCore Routines, MMXCore Routines and Multiprocessor Support. Hope this is not a problem.

What kind of computer do you have? I mean CPU, RAM etc... And what OS is there installed?

Last edited:
Engineer, now THAT is a great one..... I use Corel, Photo and draw.

Attachments

• scale grid..jpg
    scale grid..jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 252
Hi Wojetk cant stay on long, it's quite late here. My system details read as follows:
Dell Inspiron 9300
Running Microsoft XP Home Edition
Intel(R) Pentium(R) M
Processor 1.73GHz
1.73GHz 125GB RAM
Physical Address Extension

OK. Thank you. So it is a laptop but not the desktop one type. What number of the service pack do you have installed for the XP Home Edition OS?

Last edited:
Well, it depends on how much detail you wish to have...

Mine was pretty complex, but there's some that simply took a nice winter scene (a Mossy in a snowy field) and placed Holiday greetings with thier name on it...

And I like the sig you have now, by the way, I think it came out nicely.

You talkin' ta me? You talkin' ta ME? :)

Grau is correct, Vic. I use GIMP. Its free and not too bad. I'm working on the page curl right now. For what I see on GIMP the parameters are set and can' t be customized. So far. I get very LARGE curls. But for free I can't complain.

Attachments

• luckysig300.jpg
    luckysig300.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back