Another 'commission build' a 1/48th Avro Vulcan Bomber

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ian lanc

Senior Airman
Sep 30, 2007
mansfield, nottinghamshire
Hi guys/gals,

I thought i'd better show you lot my next project before i get my hand 'slapped' again ! which should hopefully be finished by next week ! hopefully he says :lol: this is for a guy who lives near Telford in the UK, the other finished Vulcan is the airfix jobbie :rolleyes:

She is to be XH558.

Well guys i've masked up the beast this took about 9hrs but is well worth it, the way i do it you don't get much overspray and the blend line is like what it is on the actual aircraft 8) The green is Humbrol 163 and the grey is Humbrol 165 :!: I'll be leaving it for a day then i'll work of the detail.

I'll tell you something i'm scared to death of dropping it :oops:

It looks more of a grey than a green ! proberly the lighting !! thanks for looking .

Hells Teeth Ian! That must be huge! Is it a vac-form kit? I didn't know there was a Vulcan in 1/48th, looks cracking mater!

It's a Aero Club Vacform Kit It came out in the early 80's and are worth a bomb unbuilt, This company is based in Nottingham.

ian.

Great work Ian!

Must be HUGE! What are the measurements of that beast in 1/48?

Interesting too that the lower camo scheme is almost a mirror image of the upper.

Wow great work Ian :)
Your masking is very crisp, is that masking tape and liquid mask around the edges?
Cheers

No its not liquid mask ! but paper cut to the shape of the cameo' which is 2mm wide and then stuck down with tamiya masking tape, this allows the paint to 'blow' under the paper mask and produce a very fine blend line 8)

Great work Ian!
Must be HUGE! What are the measurements of that beast in 1/48?
Interesting too that the lower camo scheme is almost a mirror image of the upper.

Hi, It is HUUGGE the wing span is 29" and its length is 26" :shock:

ian

No its not liquid mask ! but paper cut to the shape of the cameo' which is 2mm wide and then stuck down with tamiya masking tape, this allows the paint to 'blow' under the paper mask and produce a very fine blend line 8)
ian

?? Care to show some close ups of the procedure, my good man? :D 8)

I'll let Ian explain/illustrate the spaced mask method Jan, as it's his 'shout'. There is another way, but probably not on such a large model. Use 'Blu-Tak', formed to shape; that way you can vary the effects of a soft-edged mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back