A Dewoitine D.520 under Italian flag - From the Azur kit in 1:32

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

al49

Tech Sergeant
Dec 16, 2009
Milan, Italy
Hi everybody,
as I mentioned elsewhere I just started this new project.

Do do it I got the latest edition of the Azur kit:

DSCN0496.JPG

and the upgrade kit form Contact Resine:

Kit Contact Resine.jpg

The latter includes several resin parts, the most important being the correct nose and some p.e. parts

prop and cowl.jpg
tail.jpg

Kit Contact Resine pe.jpg

As mentioned above, my idea is to build the replica of an Italian machine during operational service, not just during transfer from France to Italy; so the profile will probably be this one:

RA 6 rosso.jpg

I'm just waiting for some nice weather, in order to be able to take under daylight some picture of what I've done so far and post them.
Alberto

Yes, after the landing of the Allies in North Africa and the consequent occupation of Vichy France by Germans (and Italians) a certain number of French aircraft were obtained by Regia Aeronautica; among them were about 60 D.520
Here following the link to Wikipedia that explain it in more details

Dewoitine D.520 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alberto

Many thanks again, very nice pictures.
I have most of them but I think yours are of better quality.
You surely know that the white bands on wings are typical of aircraft during transfer from France to italy.
I don't remember having seen the "red 2" probably she belonged to the same squadron as my "red 6": so an operational bird that means: one more opportunity for me!
Alberto

So here you are another profiles I found via the net...

Dewoitine D520 flown by Regia Aeronautica Italiana (Royal Itailan Airforce) 164a Squadriglia 161° Gruppo at Regio Calabria during september 1943

image016.jpg

32_6.jpg

32_9.jpg

Interesting project!

can you compare resin part with my drawings please?
radiator, stab; elevator and rudder

empennages.jpg

Bonjuor,
first of all many thanks for your info.

Second,
in order to try to answer your question, I did two things:
- I did a scan of CR items so. if you want you can compare yourself.
- I copied your drawing on an autocad sheet and took some dimensions: compared with them, resin parts are nearly identical except the radiator that, in your drawing, is much longer: 42 mm vs 32 mm.

CR items.jpg

dettagli CR.jpg

I hope the above answer your question
Alberto

Interesting project!

can you compare resin part with my drawings please?
radiator, stab; elevator and rudder

View attachment 247123

thank you so much I saved your images to watch later.
With a length of 32mm radiator CR is really too short.
The length of the actual radiator measuring 1307mm (40.8)
width 668mm entry (21mm) and 748 output (23.4)
the wider, 872mm (27.2)

thank you so much I saved your images to watch later.
With a length of 32mm radiator CR is really too short.
The length of the actual radiator measuring 1307mm (40.8)
width 668mm entry (21mm) and 748 output (23.4)
the wider, 872mm (27.2)

Well, I checked with a calliper the actual dimensions of the CR radiator and they are not far from those you mentioned above, except the length, it's aprox 35.5 mm so 6 mm too short and I think I will have to do some "plastic surgery" to extend the length.
Many thanks for your very good advices.
Alberto

All is fine but you have fogotten that the rudder image is taken with a some angle contrary to the radiator for instance. It my have caused looking longer in chord optically.

All is fine but you have fogotten that the rudder image is taken with a some angle contrary to the radiator for instance. It my have caused looking longer in chord optically.

if there is an angle, the rudder would be seen not as wide as in reality.
but here it is wider than the drawing! it is much too broad.
This picture was not shot with camera but a scanner.
I sent the drawings to Al, he will compare with the resin parts

You can't take a picture with a scanner. A camera is for that. You have scanned the pic posted by Alberto only and attached your drawings. If Alberto took his shot without correction of the optical angle you would get an image of incorrect shape of the rudder.
But if you sent your drawings to him, he can be able to compare them with these resin parts directly. Let's wait for his answer.

OK, let me try to fix some points.
Yes, I took that picture with my scanner: just positioned those parts on the scanner bed and scan them, so the image obtained is almost flat.
Then the point is: if drawings from waroff are correct, and I'sure they are, the rudder supplied with the CR kit is aprox 26 mm, so 3 mm are in excess, but at least 1.5 mm will go inside the recess of the fin therefore, at the end it should be only 1.5 mm too wide.
I don't know if I will put my hands on it, for sure it will be much better then the plastic rudder supplied by Azur that's only 20 mm wide and less detailed.
Surely I will do my best to modify the radiator.
Anyway, I will post picture of my work as soon as they will be available, so you will have a better idea of the output.
Alberto

Alberto.. sorry I haven't grasped it initially. But later I thought you could put these parts on the scanner mirror directly. So I do apologise I misled both of you and myslef too.

Well done. :thumbright:

Hello Al, Wurger,

On Azur model, the legs of undercarriage are too long, (33mm) they have the lenght when full extended
The stroke of shock absorber was 300mm(9,5), you can shorten 1/3(3mm) when the a/c was on ground.
Otherwise the plane seem like a stork.
The wheel camber is 10 degrees.

below, the drawing of armor plate behind the seat and headrest

blindage.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back