Dirk's 1/144 Revell EA-6B Prowler

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
Here is my latest 1/144 project. Its a OLD Revell EA-6B I found on Evilbay. It was part of a combo pack that included what appears to be an equally old F-18 kit. My though process was that for the cost I would get two kits that I could experiment with without feeling guilty if I screwed it up like I would if it was one of the newer better $14 + kits you find around today. Besides I love the look of the Prowler.

The Box art

IMG_0595.jpg

The Parts

Not much, two parts spree and a tiny spree for the glass parts

IMG_0596.jpg

The Direction Sheet

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

The Decals (Ouch)

Yeah, I knew what they were like prior to getting the kit. These actually make Airfix's decals look good. :D The replacement decals have already been ordered

IMG_0600.jpg

As usual I started with the cockpit. I did some painting and then made an attempt to add some detail. Right off the bat this kit has one advantage over the Dragon kits is they didn't put those alien pilots in the cockpit from the movie The Day the Earth Stood Still. If anyone's ever done a Dragon kit you know what I mean. I love the Dragon kits myself but they screwed the pooch when it comes to the pilots.

stood.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

Closed up the fuselage

IMG_0605.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Thanks guys but it gets worse. Just take a look at the Recent purchased thread. I went nuts with the 1/144 stuff. :oops:

Last night I had a farewell party for a co-worker to go to so I didn't get a lot of time in at the bench. But I did get a little done. Mostly filling and sanding and filling and sanding and then some more filling and sanding. I know this is an old kit but it seems like a worn out kit. All the lines seem a bit rough. Anyway as you can see there was a bit of a fit issue so I had to break out the Evergreen styrene and do some patchwork.

Before

IMG_0611.jpg

During

IMG_0612.jpg

Wings installed

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

Nice going Dirk, and what a mess of a decal sheet ! I think one of the drop tanks on my 1/32nd scale Tornado is probably twice as big as the fuselage on that kit ! I'd have major problems holding that, never mind building it !!

Adding paint to plastic. For this one I used Model Masters Enamals Light Ghost Gray and Insignia White.

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0620.jpg

The Insignia White was horrible to work with. Even after days of sitting the paint was tacky. I left lots of dirt and finger prints embedded in the finish.

IMG_0632.jpg

That gear is looking a pit warped

IMG_0633.jpg

Next came the Starfighter Decals These decals SUCK!!! Ok, maybe they don't suck that bad. It's most likely my skills. To be fair i'm use to Dragons cardboard like decals that can hold level in a wind storm. The Starfighter decals start to crumble like a shrinky dink just as they hit the heat when you pull them from the backing paper. Then to make things worse they were very difficult to move into place once they hit the plastic.

IMG_0655.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back