Dirk's 1/72 Academy P-51A Mustang Captain Paul Hexter's "Razzle Dazzle" Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
Everyone know about the P-51 Mustang. The Mustang is the most famous aircraft of World War II and arguably of all time. We've seen the mustang in all types of dress such as Olive drab to the shinny NMF and even the flashy racer models after the war. My goal is to do something a bit different. In 1942 USAAF Captain Paul Hexter designed a black and white dazzle camouflage paint scheme reminiscent of a WWI warship. While it was moderately successful, the application and maitenance of the scheme was labor intensive and ultimately not adopted.

The P-51 Mustang was used to test a paint scheme to confuse an opponent's perception of the aircraft's orientation in flight. The pattern was painted in black and white and was identical on both sides of the fuselage. The upper surfaces of the wings, tail and fuselage were painted in olive drab. A single US insignia was painted on the upper port wing.

The Razzle Dazzle Mustang

This is our subject before the dazzle was applied

41-37320a2.jpg

ac23.jpg

1.jpg

a.jpg

In flight

c.jpg

The Kit

IMG_3325.jpg

IMG_3326.jpg

More to follow

Thanks for looking

I had the same idea some time ago, and I will build it one day.

And it will be very interesting to see how this actually may be made.

Thanks guys

@ Tim, I love the odd and rare schemes. Stay tuned for my Brewster Buffalo coming soon. depending how I feel I might do them as a twin build.

@ Marshall, I hope I can do it justice. So far I've only seen one model made and it was a 1/48 scale kit. I'm not trying to be rude or condescending but there is a bud difference doing this paint scheme in 1/72 vs 1/48.

@ Marshall, I hope I can do it justice. So far I've only seen one model made and it was a 1/48 scale kit. I'm not trying to be rude or condescending but there is a bud difference doing this paint scheme in 1/72 vs 1/48.

You are right, I too think that this paint scheme will be harder to do in 1/72 than in 1/48.

Wow, that is a wild choice for that bad boy.

I have a buffalo in the build pile, but intend it to be a silver prewar bird!

As big a Mustang fan as I am I've yet to build one so if anyone has any tips or information I could use Pryor to the start feel free to post it. I'm trying to restrain myself form going cockpit wild. Just want to get a decent oob office as the focus will be the exterior paint.

My uncle built this model and the canopy can't be displayed open without some careful surgery. Otherwise he says highly recommended.

Started the build by laying out all the parts and painting the interior green parts first.

IMG_3353-1.jpg

Next I assembled the wings.

IMG_3355-1.jpg

The schedule is pretty busy again this week so I'm not sure when I'll get back to this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back