Eduard 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX - late version

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yeah, I have yet to post the clumsy, destructive news. I was working on the spit early week before last. I was leaning back a bit in my chair (against the bed behind my bench). I was working on aligning the upper and lower cowls on the fuse. Something slipped, I went to grab myself, and the chair went out from under me to one side. In my attempt to NOT fall on my ass, me and the chair came down on the spit which beat us both to the floor. Needless to say, I have a multi piece spit now. I took a day to walk away and calm down. Came back to the bench and looked at what it would take to revive the spit at this time. All I could figure out, after several days and many test fittings, was it needed divine intervention. So, that one is back in the box, ready to be used for spares and such. I had another late version on the stack. Got that one down and I have started in on it. I will post a few pics by the end of the weekend.

That sucks Dale. Perhaps turn the carnage into a diorama.

Geo

Yeah, George, that is one idea I am pondering over for down the road. I need to do a ton of research on the innards of a Spit though. And do a bunch of scratch building. But, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

Hey, Wayne, the bird is not dead. Let's say it is in a state of cryo-storage for now. I was going to cannibalize the interior for it, but I decided to just do the 2nd kit from scratch. I learned a couple of things in building the 1st one and wanted toi see if I could correct a couple of things in my scratch work.

Damn dangerous with sharp knifes and closed rooms and no ventilation and spraying lacquers and this is getting better all the time sniff sniff oh who spilled my glue lick it upppp...................................

damn chemical abusers! Wait! Did I say that out loud?

Ok, I have been picking away at the new Spit. I am close to finishing up the cockpit. I may have the fuse halves joined by tonight. So, A few pics. Not too many yet. First is the cockpit lower side walls with the rgt fuse side. Just a touch more to do with the lft lower side wall and that will get glued into place.

Pic 1:
Cockpit and fuse.JPG

I made up a priming pump with some scraps of stretched sprue. A large piece for the pump body with some stretched sprue for the lines. I drilled out the back side of the pump body and glued one line in there. I then drilled all the way through the pump body on the other end. I slipped some sprue all the way through with just a tad sticking out to represent the pump handle and the other line.

Pump:
Priming Pump.JPG

I then took some very narrow rod and a candle. I slowly placed the rod near the candle flame to get just a bit of some "swelling". I have cut these way back. I know they are hard to see in the picture. I am going to super glue these into the "bulb" rack in the cockpit side wall to get some 3d depth there.

Bulbs:
Bulbs.JPG

Lastly, I drilled out the base of the regulator and added three cat5 wires twisted together for the greater part of the length to represent the regulator harness.
Voltage Reg:
Voltage Regulator.JPG

Ok, so NO LEANING back anymore!!! BTW, looks like Don is coming up from Houston for the weekend. We are going to work on Tamiya's MkI Spitfire. I will try to get a pic of us both and post it up here. That should make for one ugly picture. Just have your seat belts on, mates!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back