Italaerei 1/72 Ju86 D1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bustedwing

Tech Sergeant
Dec 6, 2005
North Delta BC
Had this bad boy kicking around for years. I always thought it was an interesting plane despite being a bit of a sloth. Two stroke diesels with opposing pistons, now THERE'S an idea !
I havn't been able to find a great deal of info on the interior so I may be making some of it up as I go.

ju86.jpg

I was always impressed with Italaerei kit's. The first one i did was an Airspeed Horsa probably 35+ years ago, (still have it). I had to mail away for it because they were'nt very popular and not stocked in stores around here. The only down side is the instructions are a bit vague so you have to test fit everything before glueing.

Thanks ! I also found this link, ju86.com which has a number of color pics of the interior. Right now I'm working on the bulkheads and carving them out to look corrugated and adding ribs and other interior structure. I'll post some pics in a day or two. I amazed with this kit, despite it's age the plastic is in excellent shape, not brittle at all !!! Had an old Dornier Airfix kit and it was like glass !!!

There are (was) two kits, I just can't recall who issued the one with the radials. I would like to pick on up eventually. Here is a progress shot of what I'm up to so far.

86a.jpg

On another note, I was kind of shocked to hear Davey Jones passed away today. Another piece of my child hood gone, Loved the TV show as a kid. Never could get enough of the Beatles and they were the next best thing TV wise, I'm sure some can relate.

Here is the guage panel.

100_2016.jpg

What I do is cut out a piece of clear plastic. Using fine wire , about the thickness of hair I wind it around a pin to make a coil.Then using a new exacto knife blade tip, cut the coil and make drop rings. I use different diameter pins to make different size guages. After I make a lot of them well more than you need I use a pin to pick them up, dip them in a drop of crazy glue and place them on the plastic. If you try this, make sure you wipe the pin off after each guage or they will start to stick to the pin more than the plastic. When I'm done I get some fairly thin paint and touch it to the panel in a few spots. It will usually just flood out and fill everything out side the rings. The rings are easy to hilight with another colour and on the back side you can paint different colours and the clear plastic will give the guages some depth.
Helps if you have a stiff drink first !

Beaut work on the panel! Haven't used that method since my hands packed up - there'd be tiny rings all over the place!!

I have the cockpit more or less done. Spent a ton of time on the net looking for pictures for reference and there is very little so I kind of had to wing it here and there.

100_2036.jpg

100_2032.jpg

100_2037.jpg

For the life of me I can't find any pictures of the inside of the bomb bay or the landing gear wells, would love to find some !!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back