Ju 88 A5 1:32

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Junkers88A1

Staff Sergeant
Oct 22, 2008
Norway
www.ju88.net
got a bad rash and some fever..and really felt bad..and nothing worked..so i thought it might be some 88 flu..and yes..that was the cure :)
but i think i have build one to many of these as now i dont even use the manual..hehe )
and i have long wanted to to the A5 ( werknumber 6146 ) CF+VP that we salvaged in 2000..
so this will be a pretty much straight out of the box build but with L`arsenals A5 upgrade ( love the armourseat :) )

this will have the barbarossa paintscheme and also the black upper surface of the wings and top of fuselage..but splintcammo in the sides ( that was how it looked when salvaged )

need that in my collection :)

Attachments

• 88 A5 005.jpg
    88 A5 005.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 403
  • 88 A5 001.jpg
    88 A5 001.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 449
  • 88 A5 002.jpg
    88 A5 002.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 378
  • 88 A5 004.jpg
    88 A5 004.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 442
some pictures of the salvage..note the unusual placement of the yellow band on the fuselage ( also yellow under the wings )
if you look closely you will see ( on the picture with the guys touching the wings ) on the right side of the fuselage just above the VP letter ..you will see the demaractionline between the black upper surface and the splintcammo on the side fuselage. the black is a remain from the nightblitz on england.. this have the Kg 54 BoB paintscheme under tis theathre paintscheme

Attachments

• Ju 88 0886146 (2).jpg
    Ju 88 0886146 (2).jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 424
  • Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 406
  • A5 salvage.jpg
    A5 salvage.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 403
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 524
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 447
that was the first 88 we salvaged in 2000.. been a couple more salvages after that.. but they all look freshpainted when they come to the surface..and then..just after 1 hr most of the paint is gone.peels of like dead skin.. the reaction with air is not healthy for paint that has been submerged for 60 years.. but we got it all documented :)
also note how far under the wing the yellow goes

Last edited:
It must be a fantastic moment when the bird breaks surface, seeing the light of day after 60 or more years submerged. That first hour of history coming back, just as it was, has got to be a very strong feeling to experience. One hour, then it all changes. But at least the aircraft is back from that lost world.

i agree with you all on that..its something that has to be seen and felt to fully understand.
what strikes me the times we have done recoveries is the feeling you get of the reality..and suddenly the war is not far away..it seems like something happened yesterday.and one does get very close to the war and the people who fought in it.
same when i dug up the Bf 110 in a swamp ( nothing rots in a swamp ) and found the pilot and gunner..it was suddenly a "fresh" crashsite.. and over the years with the salvages of the Ju 88 A5, Ju 88 A1 and the He 111..and the restoration i find it strange that the war is so "remote" in history becuase to me its so close..

here is two more pics of the A5 ( that is me with the blue cap..not the hardhat but on his right ) i have tons more but all on paper ( this was before i had a digital camera..hehe )

also a fun thing to note.. under the dashboard over the instrumentpanel you will see two switches ( red lines on them )
they were on the A4 incoperatede into the main panel itself.. this was a nice learning 88 on the progress from A1 ( that i knowjust as well now as the A5 ) to A4. the A5 was really something in between ( it came before the A4 ) and one could see all the "shortcuts" beeing made to convort the A1 into a A5..that again was the "blueprint" for the A4

the paintscheme on this 88 is really something for itself..and as we peeled of the layers one could see the factoryfresh A1 from BoB with Kg 54
then the balkans
then the nightblitz
then barbarossa
and finally ( with barbarossa markings ) ended up as a trainer at Grosse kampflieger schule 3 at greifswald where two deflectors run of with it..got lost in bad weather ( heading for England ) and ditched in Norway

so there are quite a few nice paintschemes one could make with this baby on a model..i am now doing the salvage version as i have done it as a A1 from BoB

Attachments

• Ju 88 0886146 (1).jpg
    Ju 88 0886146 (1).jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 429
  • panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 459
as mentioned this is pretty much out of a box build..except from the A5 upgrade..i will not use to much time detailig the cockpit.. ( this is second day in the build ) but ofcourse i will paint more details and colours in there.. just a small progress here now.

i have other kits ( as you know a small stack of 88`s ) that i have planned to use eudwards upgarde parts on..so this will not be that much detailing..

some small progress tonight :) i love the armour seat in this upgrade kit and also the twin mounting rear Mg 15 guns window..the part that goes over the radiowall fits like a dream ( from the A5 upgrade kit )

Attachments

• 88 A5 001.jpg
    88 A5 001.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 373
  • 88 A5 002.jpg
    88 A5 002.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 350
  • 88 A5 003.jpg
    88 A5 003.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 348
this model will be without weapons or the bombsight as they were removed on the flightschool and not present when salvaged )

here you can see the writing in the tail..i hope to get this recreated as decals togheter with the code CF+VP

Attachments

• 88 A5.jpg
    88 A5.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 385
and now perhaps yous ee why i want so many 1:32 kits ( i have 13 all in all now )

i would one day like to make all different schems that was found on the Ju 88A1/A5 and that will be 5 schemes all in all )
then the one last salvaged ..the A1..already done one for the museum..need one myself also )
and that will be made in two different schemes..

and then its the C2 wreck we have..need to make that also in its two variations..

and then ofcourse waiting for the A4 upgrade so i van make the A4 i worked a lot on in Belgium ( in private hands under restoration =

so there you have 9 different versions i am planning to build.. and yes..i will get a shelf for them all :)

so the list goes on..hehe

just a tesfit..the wingspan with the additional parts from L`arsenal sure made it MUCH bigger..and they fitted perfect :)

not to much detailing on this baby..its the exterior that i want to do good..hehe

Attachments

• 88 A5.jpg
    88 A5.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 573
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back