Kawasaki KI-61Hien "tony II"- Arii - 1/48

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

destrozas

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 12, 2010
Well I present the new project finishing the two are almost finished and while waiting for proper drying Klear start because this model.
a little operational history (source wikipedia).
The Ki-61 looked so different compared with the usual radial-engined Japanese fighters that the Allies at first, believed it to be of German or Italian origin, possibly a license-built Messerschmitt Bf 109. The first Ki-61 seen by Allied aircrew had been misidentified as a Bf 109 by USAAF Capt. C. Ross Greening during the Doolittle Raid. In early reports, when it was thought to have been a German fighter, the Ki-61 had been code-named "Mike".The final, and better known code name adopted was "Tony", because the Ki-61 looked like an Italian aircraft.

The new Ki-61 Hien fighters entered service with a special training unit, the 23rd Chutai, and entered combat for first time in early 1943, during the New Guinea campaign. The first Sentai (Air Group/Wing) fully equipped with the Hien was the 68th in Wewak, New Guinea, followed by the 78th Sentai stationed at Rabaul. Both units were sent into a difficult theatre where jungles and adverse weather conditions, coupled with a lack of spares, quickly undermined the efficiency of both men and machines. Because the Ki-61 was so new, and had been rushed into service, it inevitably suffered from teething problems. Almost all of the modern Japanese aircraft engines, especially the Ki-61's liquid-cooled engines, suffered a disastrous series of failures and ongoing problems, which resulted in the obsolescent Ki-43 still forming the bulk of the JAAF's fighter capability.

Initially, this campaign went successfully for the Japanese Army Air Force (JAAF), but when the Allies re-organized and enhanced the combat capabilities of their air forces, they gained the upper hand against the JAAF. High non-combat losses were also experienced by the Japanese during this campaign. For example, while in transit between Truk and Rabaul, the 78th lost 18 of its 30 Ki-61s.

Even with these problems, there was some concern in Allied aviation circles regarding the Hien:

The new Japanese fighter caused some pain and consternation among Allied pilots, particularly when they found out the hard way that they could no longer go into a dive and escape as they had from lighter Japanese fighters. ...General George Kenney [Allied air forces commander in the Southwest Pacific] found his P-40s completely outclassed, and begged for more P-38s to counter the threat of the new enemy fighter.[citation needed]

However, the increasing numerical strength of Allied bomber units, along with inadequate anti-aircraft systems, imposed crippling losses on Japanese units. Approximately 100 out of 130 Japanese aircraft based in the Wewak area were lost during the attacks of August 17–21 1943. By the end of the campaign, nearly 2,000 Japanese aircraft had been lost in air attacks from up to 200 Allied aircraft at a time, around half of which were B-24s and B-25s armed with fragmentation bombs. After the Japanese retreat, over 340 aircraft wrecks were later found at Nederland.

The Ki-61 was also utilised in Southeast Asia, Okinawa, China and as an interceptor during US bombing raids over Japanese home islands, including against Boeing B-29 Superfortresses. The Ki-61 was notable for many reasons: initially identified as of either German or Italian origin, these aircraft were capable of matching Allied aircraft such as the P-40 in speed, and as evaluation had already showed, were superior in almost every respect. However, the armament of the early Hien was lighter, but still sufficient for most purposes. Some authors claim that the Lockheed P-38 Lightning was measurably superior. The Ki-61 carried a great deal of fuel, but due to having self-sealing fuel tanks, it did not have the reputation for being "easily flammable", as were many other Japanese aircraft.

well I'm doing model.
Ki-61 Special Attack Unit

The tactic of using aircraft to ram American Boeing B-29 Superfortresses was first recorded in late August 1944, when B-29s from Chinese airfields attempted to bomb the steel factories at Yawata. Sergeant Shigeo Nobe of the 4th Sentai intentionally flew his Kawasaki Ki-45 into a B-29; debris from the explosion severely damaged another B-29, which also went down. Other attacks of this nature followed, as a result of which individual pilots determined it was a practicable way of destroying B-29s.

On 7 November 1944, the officer commanding the 10th Hiko Shidan (Air division) made ramming attacks a matter of policy by forming ramming attack flights specifically to oppose the B-29s at high altitude. The aircraft were stripped of their fuselage armament and protective systems in order to attain the required altitudes. Although the term "kamikaze" is often used to refer to the pilots undertaking these attacks, the word was not used by the Japanese military.

The units assigned to the 10th Hiko Shidan included the 244th Hiko Sentai (Fighter group), then commanded by Captain Takashi Fujita, who organised a ramming flight called "Hagakure-Tai" ("Special Attack Unit"), which was composed out of volunteers from the three Chuatai (squadrons) of the 244th: the 1st Chutai "Soyokaze", 2nd Chutai "Toppu", and the 3rd Chutai known as "Mikazuki".

First Lieutenant Toru Shinomiya was selected to lead the Hagakure-Tai. On 3 December 1944 Shinomiya, along with Sergeant Masao Itagaki and Sergeant Matsumi Nakano, intercepted a B-29 raid; Shinomaya rammed one B-29, but was able to land his damaged Ki-61, which had lost most of the port outer wing, back at base. After attacking another B-29 Itagaki had to parachute from his damaged fighter, while Nakano rammed and damaged Long Distance of the 498th BG and crash-landed his stripped-down Ki-61 in a field. Shinomaya's damaged Ki-61 was later displayed inside Tokyo's Matsuya department store while Nakano's Ki-61 was displayed outside, alongside of a life-size cut-away drawing of the forward fuselage of a B-29. These three pilots were the first recipients of the Bukosho, Japan's equivalent to the Victoria Cross or Medal of Honor, which had been inaugurated on 7 December 1944 as an Imperial Edict by Emperor Hirohito (there are 89 known recipients, most of whom fought and scored against B-29s). The existence of the ramming unit had been kept confidential until then, but it was officially disclosed in the combat results announcement and officially named "Shinten Seiku Tai" ("Body Attack Detachment") by the Defense GHQ. On 27 January 1945, Itakagi survived another ramming attack on a B-29, again parachuting to safety, and received a second Bukosho; he survived the war as only one of two known double-Bukosho recipients. Sergeant Shigeru Kuroishikawa was another distinguished member of the unit.

However, these pilots gained no reprieve and despite their successes they were obligated to continue these deadly and dangerous ramming tactics until they were killed, or else wounded so badly that they could no longer fly. They were regarded as doomed men and were celebrated among the ranks of those who were going to certain death as Tokkotai (kamikaze) pilots.

Some other Ki-61 pilots also became well-renowned, among whom was Major Teruhiko Kobayshi of the 244th Sentai, who was credited by some with a dozen victories mostly due to conventional attacks against B-29s.

This is the model

1eabd676.gif

some painted parts

fac0c74d.gif

e18c1a52.gif

3bff6e67.gif

Now the interior

165a99d6.gif

a6eab482.gif

fe33bb4c.gif

7798ca4e.gif

already attached to the whole lack of spoilers and wings

ae9406e3.gif

lace of the model

8e2d2f2b.gif

fdc75da7.gif

fd2b1264.gif

7182d24c.gif

back soon

shallow are almost flush with the wing but did not want to complicate tweak much as it is for someone, on 6 January in Spain is a day that celebrates the arrival of the kings Magics to the portal of Belen to bring presents to the child , I'm not believing it at all but as it is tradition to others if they like

shallow are almost flush with the wing but did not want to complicate tweak much as it is for someone, on 6 January in Spain is a day that celebrates the arrival of the kings Magics to the portal of Belen to bring presents to the child , I'm not believing it at all but as it is tradition to others if they like

I see.

I have not taken photos yet but say they are already attached the wings and stabilizers, caulking, sanding and polishing is in the process, the metal go scratch was noticed more than normal, so as I am working very delicate surfaces.
I have thought that he could give a few scratches in the direction of the air as metal fatigue, but not whether it will be successful, what do you think?

I don't think you should do that at the moment. Also I'm not sure if it is needed later as well. A such scratches aren't noticable usually. Unless it was made by a shell of the calibre 380 mm. :lol: But it's up to you only.

thanks airframes and wurger, well, I'm always attentive to the possible improvements or changes that give more life to the model, so I attend to logical reasons such as give, because what these blemishes dejosin commenting.thanks for the advice on the subject alluded added to the dossier

vic Balshaw tkanks
little good dog to lack of time .....
already matched and glued ta dodo enmasidado sanding again and finally polished, polished or polish the metal pra when the psibles errors and scratches are the least look better and can work to eliminate them without having to strip paint or leaving poorly finished work, so I do save me having to strip paint with the consequent problem of having to match the paint after

7be3a376.gif

ff8eafd7.gif

ec1f9260.gif

If you look at previous pictures has nothing to gloss the plane was rather matt and is now very bright,

see you soon

more progress
pictures of the first coat of metallic paint with depth effect already given, the problem is my camera that is compact does not give the necessary resolution and not appreciated with all the splendor that is the brightness obscures as has been:
6b1d74c8.gif

b7521bbf.gif

945b9a88.gif

24139dd5.gif

Looking very good. But more of filling ,sanding and polishing at a few aeras should had been done before applying of the paint though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back