My first model - progress

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crunch

Senior Airman
Ok, so not technically my first model. But, this is the first one I've done since I was about 14 (I'm 25 now). It's an Airfix 1:48 Spit Vc with marking of RAAF 79 Sqn markings, UP-T.

But there are a few first with this for me...

First time I've used putty.
First time I've masked.
First time I've pre-painted
First time i've sanded.
And honestly, first time I've really put an effort into it! :lol:

So here's a few pics. It's all hand painted, and there's been a few mishaps along the way, like breaking the ariel, propeller, tail wheel (still off, leaving that till later).

I've cut the canopy to display it open, in hindsight, I would have cut the side door too, but apart from that I'm not getting too adventurous and it's straight from the box.

I'm not happy with a few individual areas, but overall, for a first, I think it's alright. :oops:

Say what you will, I know it's not great and I've got think skin :blob:

Andrew.

Attachments

• P1160824.JPG
    P1160824.JPG
    33.4 KB · Views: 66
  • P1160826.JPG
    P1160826.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 64
  • P1160827.JPG
    P1160827.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 94
  • P1160828.JPG
    P1160828.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 71
  • P1160830.JPG
    P1160830.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 79
  • P1160831.JPG
    P1160831.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 69
It's a 97 to 3% mix of matt white and 157 grey (Humbrol), although it's probably darker than it should be.

I spoke to the guys at the model shop and they said there's not a colour in any of the paint ranges that comes close. It was a standard Aussie undersurface colour at that time and place. Actually, the whole scheme was, I've seen pics of boomerangs and a couple of other in the same colours.

I used neutral grey I think on my spit, does the job by no means perfect though. I agree though Andy just settle on something that looks good to you.

Very nice. Just goes to show you that you don't need an airbrush to make very nice looking models. And she will look even more impressive with the decals on.

All I have to say is great effort and don't be afraid to experiment. You will mess stuff up but learn more than being too careful and thinking things are too hard. The people on this site are full of encouragement and very happy to help I've found in my short time here.

I agree with all Andrew. Excellent first timer. Looks like Airfix have improved/updated the kit a bit since it first came out, nearly 30 years ago, but I still don't like that ugly air filter! Nice colour and paint job, should look top when finished!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back