tamiya 1/48th dambuster build, for 'wayne little'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ian lanc

Senior Airman
Sep 30, 2007
mansfield, nottinghamshire
hi for anyone who loves the avro lancaster

heres the build of my latest project its based on guy gibson's lancaster of 617 sqd requested by 'wayne little' ;) ........

this will be my 6th tamiya lancaster i've made 8) .there are to be a few added extra's to this model.
she will be AJ-G guy gibson's lancaster.

this model has a few mistakes but i'll rectify these as i go along, i've got no flash on the first few pictures so sorry that they are a bit dark , i never work to the kits instructions that why some seem a bit mixed up :( here goes.....

the kit box art, very nice.

paragon resin smooth bulged tyres to be fitted unlike the checked treaded type supplied which is wrong.

undercarriage made up this consists of about 14 pieces per side !

undercarriage/wheel well supports together.

rear tail wheel made up, a two part piece with the correct shimmy wheel.

air vent fairing opened up [don't forget to do this dave]

original manuactuers windows are all filled in and starting to make new window positions

holes now cut out to the same size of the window, now heres a problem square window frames with rounded glass corners, heres the solution.....

put stretched sprue into the corners, the heat up a very fine drill bit then press gently to make the metal form a curve in the plastic, don't try and do it in one go, practiece fisrt on a bit of scrap plastic, put oil on the metal drill bit so it doesn't stick to the plastic and you don't want the metal glowing.

had to re-rivit detail and panel lines which got removed by sanding.

the finished windows , can anyone spot tamiya's mistake ?, the primed ones are now the altered ones and look alot better.

they need a little bit more of tidying up, then job done.

rear wings made up very simple and a good fit.

both rear stablelizers are solid one piece plastic so they are very strong and not much to do here other than clean up the edges and drill two very fine holes for the aerials.

more to follow....

outer nacelles made up, putting the engine fairings on these are a real pain to align up.

inner naccelles, these too are a fairly poor fit to the wings.

front and rear gun mounts made up. pictures still a bit dark i'll have a look at my camera :evil:

the resin browning 303's these are alot better than the kits guns.

i though to myself go on ian make the 'mine' so i did :lol:

thanks for looking

ian.

ian lanc said:
Heres my latest installment both out nacelles are now done thank goodness :evil: all four nacelles are a right pain to align up properly and the interior is just about finished, all the windows are in, so i maybe putting the two halves together very shortly, i'll take my time here gluing a section at a time rather than glue it up all in one go :!:

i've scratch built a few items inside the cockpit to bring it into life a bit more...angle lamp/leather cases/document holders near pilots seat/step/armor plate supports and trim wheel.

ian :D

the fuselage halfs are now together and i spent a few hours cleaning up and re-scribing all the panel lines which got rubbed out during sanding, a few sink marks need to be filled in, i also noticed later that there was a part missing... the nose fairing good job i've got some lanc spares everything running smoothly today, making up the canopy also.

just been checking closely at the clear parts and i think the rear/front part of the turret also needs changing

i used my own fairing as this is newer and is a better fit than the old cover

my replacement nose fairing on,first coat of paint on ! [the green bit]

both inner fairings/nacelles made up, god i hate making these parts up

i attach the side windows by just four little drops of glue one in each corner, no need to try and glue all the way around.

the faulty rear glass... can you see the bad mold line ?

thanks for watching ian.

update so far.....all the undercarriage are now weathered painted and glued strongely into place wheels are also finished tyres are painted matt black with a hint of grey in the black, i've always wondered why some lanc's have black hubs and black strut bottoms ! any ideas why ? gibson's was black by the way ;)

made up the two little merlins seperately as these are just a gimmick and the nacelles don't fit around them properly and are a bit fragile, one could be mounted on a plinth and would look nice.

all four props finished.

i've just started to paint front and rear turret glass a bit of a steady hand needed here also the bomb bay is now fitted, just working out now where the lights go, tamiya's are wrong

the seat belts are made from masking tape a neat idea and very simple to make

heres a few more to keep you busy.....

both side windows glued on successfully, i hate this part one slip and your a goner.

both inner nacelles now on.took at least 6hrs to do them correctly and the seems are now filled in which can be seen on the top.

both trim tabs fixed onto the wings,

i make a little box to cover the undercarraige so i don't get any over spray on them, oh and i'll try and save these boxs this time !

how about these two ! who said there aern't any lanc's in scrap yards :lol:

wings are airbrushed using good old humbrol 29 dark earth.

thanks for looking everyone and i hope your enjoying seeing yet another tamiya lanc built :ha:

hi guys,
been working on the nacelles again touching up the odd mark or two, i've also made the bomb aimers cushion and rear gunners cushion this morning, little bits that make it look alo better, i can't understand why tamiya never did these parts :?:
also started to paint the front/rear turret glass :D

bomb aimers / rear turret cushions.

rear turret nearly finished :)

starting on the front turret now

ian.

hi all
been flying with it just about finished painting the canopy, some people prefer to glue the canopy onto the model then paint it, i find it alot easy to paint this seperately, the front turret is done as is the rear turret, spent a few hours masking up the wings/tail plains.

stablelizers all painted /glossed decals on

seat added with simple seat belts :cool:

the masking is done by first cutting out a 2mm template of the area then taped down to the wing, doing it this way ensures you get a very fine even blend between the brown and the green and the green doesn't go elsewere :evil:

just a group shot of the fraglie bits, the black ring on the nose took ages to do neatly 'freehand'

couldn't resist putting these two pictures up of the finished canopy :cool: when i glue this canopy on i only glue from the side windows all the front then the other side windows never glue the rear part you will make a mess :rolleyes: , i've used normal glue and not white glue as this canopy needs strength in staying put because it has two areal wires which will be coming out either side of the escape hatch

thanks..eon.

Oh man....I'm very impressed.What a graet job Ian.Excellent.:D :D :D :D

hi everyone :)

just painted the cameo green which is humbrol 116 matt green, this went on very smoothly and today i've done the underside all black those pictures will follow when the black is dry :confused:

ian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back