1:48 Dornier Do-24T WIP (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Jgonzalez

Airman 1st Class
Sep 30, 2007
Barranquilla, Colombia
Hello guys!

Finaly I had the guts to build FM's DO-24. This thing is just evil!:evil: There's not a single piece that doesn't require intensive work... Many surprises like small notes in the instruction manual that tells "this piece must be scratch built...":shock: I felt like expiating my sins trying to put togather the wings... but finally done!! Lots, LOTS of putty and evergreen styrene strips..., at least the surface details are very fine and convincing. The real bird is so beautiful that I think is worth the effort.

IMG_1503.jpg

The grab irons on top of the engine nacelles are scratch build, the ones supplied by the kit are horrible!

Here is question for you guys... After gluing the metal exhausts pipes I realized that they stick to high. After researching a lot of pics I notice that those pipes didn't stick so far away from the nacelle... what do you think?? Much help needed here... should I warm my dremel? Or leave it as is...?

IMG_1505.jpg

Do-24_p110.jpg

Do-24_p053.jpg

Looking good with a difficult kit Jg. As for those exhausts, it might be easier to remove them if you can, then drill holes for them to push into maybe? Could save some work and possible damage.

Yea I agree, but the bottom line is that u have to make em shorter, one way or the other man....

Yes I agree too... I'll try to detach them from the nacelles, but the CA is really strong bonding white metal... I think the best way right now is to use a cutting disk of my dremel a cut at the base, then cutting off about 2mm and pasting it again. All the pics I've seen have the same detail, eve the ones of other variants.

Yes I agree too... I'll try to detach them from the nacelles, but the CA is really strong bonding white metal... I think the best way right now is to use a cutting disk of my dremel a cut at the base, then cutting off about 2mm and pasting it again. All the pics I've seen have the same detail, eve the ones of other variants.

Awesome effort!

Have you thought about cutting off the stacks just above the nacelle and shaping the stubs that remain rather than shortening the pieces you cut off? That way you're not regluing or cutting off the part that is already glued.

Looks like a nice subject though. Too bad for all the work needed. Looking forward to progress.

The wing is ready, just some fine sanding arround the cowling rings.
IMG_1512.jpg

The engines are done painting and weathering. The resin parts were quite good.
IMG_1510.jpg

Scratch built aleron actuators, not included in the kit.
IMG_1508.jpg

Do-24_p529.jpg

The sponsons, lots of putty here and sanding.
IMG_1513.jpg

Next, the tail section. Notice the massive amounts of putty used. Here you see the third putty application. Then more sanding, and more putty if needed, until complately smooth and gap free. No steps noticed yet...
IMG_1514.jpg

I almost had a fatal attemt to cut the white metal exhausts. I beleive is more difficult that it seems.

Crimea: I thought of that, but they have a peculiar for at the end where the hole is. I'll give it a rest and concentrate in other parts. Unfortunately (and may I learn from it) I checked the real pictures AFTER I glue the pieces... big mistake...

Keep going man! I would have put the the kit in the garbage by now if it were me, you show the courage of a real modeler!

Lovely work! That wing looks fantastic, love the weathering on the engine! :thumbleft:

Fonderie Miniatures me think....

FM it is... The model is very accurate and the texture and details are really good. Fine engravings and receced panel lines. The problem (like with any other short runner) is the production... (molding, plastic quality, etc...). The model is definately doable, and although it has been a lot of work (a month by now, working every nights 1 or 2 hours), it has been fun, a real challenge!!

The tail section is done!

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

Do-24_p256.jpg

Do-24_p543.jpg

Progress until now... Now I'm concentrating in the cockpit.
IMG_1517.jpg

Helping my dad with some airbrushing... this is his first plastic model, he's into ships. That's Revell-Germany's S-100 torpedo boat in 1:72
IMG_1520.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back