1/48 SANGER Mitsubishi Ki-67 Vac...It BEGINS!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I found some time to get some paint on the interior. It's just a start, as I noticed some parts need some work.
I made my own interpretation of "Mitsubishi Interior Green" and tried some shading techniques. I slightly weathered the parts with some aquarell paint (water solveble)
The chipping was achieved by scratching the paint of the household alumium foil I used for the walkways. This was a first for me, though I like the achieved result.

I'll have to work a bit more precise and spent some extra time on sanding the scratch build parts.

Just a look of the fuselage;
DSCF2453.JPG
DSCF2454.JPG
DSCF2456.JPG
DSCF2457.JPG

And the actual parts. Mind I still have to build a lot of smaller parts. I just could not resist painting what I already had, due to the fantastic weather we had here yesterday. The highest temperatures ever recorded for a 7th of March... 19°C, is quiet unusual for this time of year :) Sunshine all day long!!!

You will notice that it looks as if the right Pilots seat sits closer to the edge of the cockpit. I'll still need to clean the sidewall a bit. But I guess this is also a deffect in the actual Sanger part, which will be hard to correct. My scratchbuild floor and placement of these seat is pretty symetric, though, once inserted, the right side looks off...
I guess this comes with the terretory of building these kind of kits. The fuselage halves are not identical. Thus leaving the modeller with choiches to make on how to aproach this...
I already made the right seat a tad less wide then the left seat, but still...
DSCF2458.JPG
DSCF2460.JPG
DSCF2461.JPG
DSCF2459.JPG

I also visited the largest Plastic Model event held here in Belgium yesterday. A load of vendors and individuals selling their collections of unbuild kits.
One vendor was having a huge sale as he is retireing. So he's complete stock came with a 70% reduction...needles to say I spent some cash at his booth...
He had about the complete Quick Boost catalogue, though a lot was already gone, I still found some usefull things. Some WW2 radio faces in 1/48 from True Details, CMK cockpit stuff, etc...I had a full bag for € 22,- ;) So, Yeah...I was pretty pleased.
I also bought a 2nd hand Italeri Re 2002 for € 10,- and a 1/72nd scale Ju 287 which I need for a 1/48th scratch build (which I will reveal in good time:))

Last edited:
Hi Jerry!
At least to my eyes the green does not look good enough. It's too bright and should have a more 'olive' look. Wayne, Shinpachi and some other guys can tell you more if they wish so. Personally I do not have much time now but I will be able to do it tomorrow.
Cheers,
Panagiotis.

Thanks again!

The fuselage pic is not really representive colourwise. The colour is indeed more olive then it is in the pictures I took.
The colour looks indeed to green on the fuselage pics. Though I must admit that japanese interiour colours are a bit intimidating to me as every aircraft manufacturor used it's own colours. So thanks for pointing it out. I guessed that Mitsubsishi interior green was closer to light olive green then Kawanishi's, which apears more dark olive green to me...
Still a bit confusing....

Hi Jerry!
At least to my eyes the green does not look good enough. It's too bright and should have a more 'olive' look. Wayne, Shinpachi and some other guys can tell you more if they wish so. Personally I do not have much time now but I will be able to do it tomorrow.
Cheers,
Panagiotis.
I had done a lot of research before building my own 'Betty' some years ago and I had found that a mixture of FS 34092 and 34102 was quite close.

PICT1946_zps99c3966d.gif

Thanks again! Wow, the betty fuselage looks incredible! (I recently traded some kits out of my stash for a Tamiya Betty)
I made a few changes on the ki-67. I darkened the interior colour a slight bit with an olive wash, looks less green now.
I also decided to rebuild the right pilots seat. I wasn't really happy with it and I discovered that the cockpitfloor was actually 5 to 6mm too long, so I shortened it.
Most likely, I will also add the entrance door of the aft fuselage, as I've seen this open in a few wartime pics.
I'll post pics later of these new developments.

Looking very cool, detailed and good enough to wish it was real :D loving the effort and time your spending on this IJA bird - cousin to the IJN's Betty; I know its late in the build, but since the actual aircraft was a new fuselaged version of the Betty for Army acceptance, perhaps the seats were the same as the Betty's?
Even though the Army and Navy practically hated each other enough to not share the same overall designs or A/C, Mitsubishi likely did share some components to minimise R&D resources; although that is my own hypothesis.

I hope to post an update soon. I managed to make some changes to the forward bulkhead and I have some good drawings of the wings, so I hope to proceed with the model soon.

Very nice work there. I've used vac modification kits for plastic models but an entire vac model is way beyond the breaking point of my nerves.

Hi All! I know it's been a loooong time. But believe it or not I picked this kit back up.
I hope to post some pics of my progress soon.
Though, this kit is a lot of work. Everytime you think you're back on track, you struck another wall.
So far I managed to build up one of the wings, seperating the piece that goes to th efuselage in order to build up the wing angle that Sanger for some reason forgot (though it's clearly seen on their 3 vieuw drawing...)
Another very unpleasant surprise is that the plastic is too thin. The fuselage halves have a nasty tendency to curl up inward. I have used a hair drier to bent the fuselage halves back in to shape, put prior to glueing them together, I'll have to repeat this process I guess.
But I'm not giving up on this one! I WILL build it (even though it's the last thing I do!)
But in order to keep my sanity, I'll started another more sane project on the side.
(A group build with some buddies of min of my local IPMS chapter of the Hs-129 B-2. Though I'm using the old ESCI kit, so I guess this will also involve some extra work. But not as much as the Ki-49)

Man thiss is very impressive stuff, and for someone who has never even seen a vac-form kit, i am learning a lot about this field of model building

All I have to say my friend is that "manufacturers" like Sanger who show absolutely no respect for such beautiful birds like Peggy should be totally rejected. In my case from the very first moment I saw that even the two tyres halves didn't fit-for God's sake!!!-I dumped it and went on to my next project...Get rid of this crap and enjoy with another model!
Best,
Panagiotis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back