Airfix Spitfire mk.VIII 1/48th (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

magnu

Staff Sergeant
Dec 11, 2007
Cornwall
I have finally got my work bench sorted a 5'x2.5' glass table that was a real struggle to get up the stairs.
So last night I decided to get some work done and started in on this bargain picked up at a car boot for £3.00
Aircraft018.jpg
[/IMG]
Managed to get some preliminary painting done, wheels, exhaust stacks, and some brushed pre shading of the control surfaces. I will be redoing the prop as the black is a bit glossy for my liking
Aircraft017.jpg
[/IMG]
Aircraft026.jpg
[/IMG]
Aircraft025.jpg
[/IMG]
Aircraft024.jpg

Any and all comments will be appreciated

Yep. Airfix used the Otaki moulds for this kit, about ten years ago, hence the lack of 'gull wing' on the underside wing root. Goes together and looks well when finished though. Just one point - the yellow tips on the props look a bit deep. In 'real life' they were four inches, so about half what you've painted.

Decided to have a go at putting some detail into the cockpit over the weekend added O2 tube and door release, not happy with scale of O2 tube so will make a new one from some thinner gauge wire will also drill out hole above seat and have a go at making some belts and do a bit more to it but not go too mad.
Aircraft027.jpg
[/IMG]
Also re did the tyres in a more realistic dark grey ,few touch ups needed there and will brighten up the hubs a little.
Ta for the heads up on the prop Terry, I did leave a bigger than needed yellow tip on them as I figured black over yellow was going to be a lot easier than the other way round and have now done this
Aircraft028.jpg
[/IMG]

Coming along nicely mate. The pilot's seat was normally a moulding of a resin and paper pulp, dark red-brown in colour. Much later, these were often overpainted black. Where a metal seat was fitted, on late variants, this was either bare metal or black, When the 'slip on' padded back rest was fitted, this was very dark brown or black leather.

Cheers Terry, will redo the seat. Was hoping to get more done last night but had a thumping headache. Will hopefully get some time in tonight

Managed to get a bit done yesterday re did the O2 hose with thinner guage wire re did the seat and had a no very successful go at belts. Then when it came to fitting the fuselage halves together I found one side to be badly warped after some gentle persuasion this was as close as they would go
Aircraft031.jpg
[/IMG]
Aircraft032.jpg
[/IMG]
So after lots of glue and tape I managed to get them together as best I could
Aircraft033.jpg
[/IMG]
After giving the body a decent interval to set I fitted the wings, several large gaps and steps in this join as well
Aircraft034.jpg
[/IMG]
The original filler (grey) I wasn't happy with so I stripped all that off and used milliput that was originally intended for aquarium use, hence the fetching purple colour.
Aircraft035.jpg
[/IMG]
Aircraft036.jpg
[/IMG]
Aircraft037.jpg
[/IMG]
After leaving things to dry and set I came back to find the seam along the rear fuselage had reopened so re did that
I found a good reference pic for Lonesome polecat. one of the options on the decal sheet in a Flypast mag and noticed the wheel hubs were red so re did those along with the exhausts to the colours they were in the photo

Coming along nicely, considering the warping. Can't beat Milliput as a filler etc - it'll take care of those fuselage gaps without a problem. When filled, smooth out with a wet finger, it'll make sanding a lot easier.

Coming along nicely. :) You mentioned that the yellow was a little deep on the blades. When I looked at the blades, I noticed a raised line just short of the end. I think that raised line was suppose to be the marking point between what is yellow and what is black on those blades. What do you think? :)

Yep under better lighting I spotted them and have now sanded the prop as I wasn't happy with the finish and will mask and spray it to get a better one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back