Brendan 'Paddy' Finucane Spitfire Mk Vb. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gerry

Staff Sergeant
Jan 4, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
This is a project I had hoped would be my entry in the 'Aircraft of the Aces' Group Build. Unfortunately, I cannot see myself having a hope to complete it in time for the deadline, as I am going to be away for all of October/November. In fact, I can't really see myself getting started until around Christmas. With that in mind I think it's more likely to be a 'sleeper' on this thread.

I've always wanted to honour the Irish Airman and RAF Ace, Brendan 'Paddy' Finucane by building one of his aircraft, either UD-W (AB852) or the aircraft he was shot down in, as Wing Commander, Hornchurch Wing; BF (BM308). As usual, most of my research, so far, has been conducted on the internet, where I've found quite a number of shots of UD-W but only a single profile of BM308. As I have recently invested in Decal Printing Paper, I feel reasonably confident I can tackle the decals and codes for either aircraft, if they aren't commercially available. Unfortunately, I can't figure how to upload either profile, to show you, without the rest of the web page they're featured on, uploading too.

I'm throwing this out to the Forum for two reasons. Firstly which kit to purchase? I am considering either the Hobby Boss 1/32 Spitfire Mk Vb or the Tamiya 1/48 version. I've checked the Forum 'Kit Reviews' thread but haven't found either kit reviewed. I was wondering if anyone on the Forum would have experience of the accuracy and pros and cons of either kit, that would help me make a choice? My second reason is to ask if anyone has any references or further information on these two particular aircraft that would enhance the final result.

I'd appreciate it greatly, if anyone can help.

If you want to show us an image that has already been uploaded somewhere in the net, it is enough to copy the pic URL address and paste it here between two img tags. An URL address of any picture is usually available when clicking a shot with the right mouse button and then choose 'Properties' or 'Picture Info' from the opened menu. Then click the URL address using left mouse button and then hit Ctrl+A keys. The marked text can be copied either by hitting Ctrl+C keys or clicking the right mouse button and choosing Copy option form opened menu. The URL address is copied now and ready to paste it in a post or replay here. The entire operation is the same when writting with a text editor ( e.g. the Word ). If you paste the URL address without img tags the address becomes a link that when clicked redirects us to its site to display the pic. But if you add these img tags the image is displayed here directly.

for example... here is an URL address as a link

http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/spitfire.jpg

and here with img tags.... the example is written down with quotation marks and spaces after the first tag and before the second one because of the system reaction that would cause displaying of the pic like the shot below. These marks and spaces have to be omitted when writting the correct text.

"
url]
"

spitfire.jpg

Last edited:
Nice one Gerry. I'll have a look see what i have, if anything, on his aircraft. The code letters would be better from a commercial sheet, as light colours don't normally hold enough density on ink-jet or laser decal paper, but you'd be all right with the serial numbers.
As far as the kits go, the Tamiya 1/48th MkVb is excellent - it's the one I used to make a MkVc for the last Bob Cross build. However, I think it only has the later Rotol spinner and prop (at least that's all you get in the MkVb Trop kit).
Not sure about the Hobby Boss 1/32nd scale kit, although I believe there are inaccuracies, and again, only one prop and spinner.
The old Hasegawa 1/32nd MkVb is still good (built about four, and converted them all to later marks), and it has both props and spinners, and both canopy/windscreen styles. It can still be found here and there.

The Hobby Boss offering is a rescaled version of the Trumpeter 1/24 kit. I am not qualified to comment on the accuracy of a Spitfire kit but those who are (or think they are!) don't have much nice to say about it.
The Hasegawa kit is becoming hard to find. I think Wayne's suggestion maybe the way to go,although you'd have to go to 1/48 scale.
Cheers
Steve

Firstly, thanks Darryl. Any help you can supply will be greatly appreciated.

Wurger, I understand what you're saying about uplifting references. It's slightly complicated by the fact I use a Mac, which doesn't have the twin button mouse but I think your instructions are clear enough, even to a Luddite like myself. I shall put it to the test by attempting to upload the two profiles I mentioned in my first post. Just hope I don't crash the site...

Terry, Wayne and Steve, Thanks.

Terry, good heads-up on the codes. I will see what's available out there. I will have to do some research on the difference between the de Havilland prop and the Rotol. Is there a noticeable visual difference? I think from what all three of you are saying, particularly Steve's contribution, the Hobby Boss kit will be discounted and I will concentrate on either the 1/48 Tamiya, which I know I can get from Hannants or the Hasegawa 1/32, which is available on Amazon US. Just depends whether they'll deliver to Ireland. I assume that the propellor can be sorted with after-market parts if I go with the Tamiya kit?

Now for my attempt to upload the references... If it uploads properly, I notice the serial is wrong for UD-W.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Padd...tbnw=179&start=45&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:45

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Padd...bnw=197&start=45&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:12,s:45

Spitfire-Vb-Finucane.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Gerry, if it helps, I usually save the picture to my hard drive and then upload from there as with any other pic I post. As I don't use a Mac, I'n not very helpful on how to do this though.

Looking forward to your build and regret that it'll be a while coming.

Gerry, there should be code letter decals available, certainly in 'Sky' in 1/48th and 1/32nd scales, from Xtradecal, via Hannant's. There used to be grey codes also, in both scales, but you'd need to check.
As for the props, yes, very noticeable difference; the early MkV had a similar prop and spinner to the Mk1 and MkII, with the later ones having the longer, pointed spinner and broad-chord blades, as in the MkVc I did last. Check a kit review for the Tmiya MkVb, as both might be included, but aren't in the 'Trop' version.

Darryl, Thanks for that reference. It isn't one that came up when I Googled the subject. Based on Terry's description, would I be right in thinking that this aircraft has the Rotol prop? It looks like LO-W, 602 Squadron. Can't make out the serial though. Looks like it ends in '22'

Thanks Terry for the Decal info. Hadn't realised you could get 'generic' sheets of RAF codes. Hannants certainly have them for both scales in 'Sky'. From what I can see, only the Rotol prop version comes with the Tamiya kit, but Hannants also have a resin version of the earlier prop available. P.S. I don't have shares in Hannants - just use them a lot for my internet purchases!

And thanks Andy for your observations. That's the way I usually save photos too, but in these cases, end up saving the web page in 'web format' on my HD. The refs are easy enough to find if you Google 'Paddy Finucane Photos' though.

Yes Gerry, that Spit has the Rotol prop, so you should be OK with the kit parts. By this date, the codes had changed to Sky, but I'm wondering if the pic was taken earlier than stated, as the under wing and fuselage roundels are the earlier style.

Gerry,

Hhmmm been digging. I don't think the caption can be right as to the date. This could be AB852 or AB972 but neither really fits. AB852 was lost on ops 13/10/41 and AB972 was with 452 at Feb 1942. The aircraft in the background is obviously a 602 aircraft at Redhill/Kenley, which means that the Finucane aircraft is UD-W of 452 Sqn.

That being the case the 22 (???) serial doesn't fit. Of course if the code letters are LO-W and this is indeed a 602 aircraft then I have no idea what the serial may be, you would need to try to establish a list of aircraft flown by 602. Not easy with teh records I have sorry...

I can't find any profiles or pictures further to what you have, sorry...

Darryl

Yep, the date in the caption doesn't fit with the style of markings either. I'm guessing it's a generic photo, used for PR purposes at a later date, the thinking being that no one would know the difference at the time.

OK, gonna try again with the uploads.

[URL="http://forum.keypublishing.com/showthread.php?t=73632[/URL][img]

[img][URL="http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Paddy+Finucane+Photos&hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&rls=en&biw=943&bih=892&tbm=isch&prmd=ivnso&tbnid=Lp6oyHhtbZeSrM:&imgrefurl=http://ww2artgallery.e-monsite.com/rubrique,jean-marie-guillou,572649.html&docid=4f6G-hVbHzxsYM&w=550&h=148&ei=DS1mTuTXLMmA-wb5l_D1CQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=471&vpy=240&dur=59&hovh=116&hovw=433&tx=330&ty=65&page=3&tbnh=48&tbnw=179&start=45&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:45"]http://www.google.com/imgres?q=Paddy+Finucane+Photos&hl=en&client=safari&sa=X&rls=en&biw=943&bih=892&tbm=isch&prmd=ivnso&tbnid=Lp6oyHhtbZeSrM:&imgrefurl=http://ww2artgallery.e-monsite.com/rubrique,jean-marie-guillou,572649.html&docid=4f6G-hVbHzxsYM&w=550&h=148&ei=DS1mTuTXLMmA-wb5l_D1CQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=471&vpy=240&dur=59&hovh=116&hovw=433&tx=330&ty=65&page=3&tbnh=48&tbnw=179&start=45&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:45[/URL][img][/QUOTE]

[ATTACH=full]422056[/ATTACH]

You are doing it wrong gerry, the thing you linked is NOT the URL to the picture!

Quote my post and you will see the URL, you get that when you are on the google page, select 'full size picture' and copy THAT url.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 142
Hi again. I was away for the last week and didn't have easy access to the Forum. I'm just now catching up with the latest posts, and it looks like I'm going to have to do a lot more digging to get the details right.

Darryl, your information to date has been a great help and I really appreciate it. I don't think it can be either of the serials you quote; unless it was changed by the censor to confuse enemy intelligence - which I have heard of being done in other cases. I will try to dig up more gen on 602 Squadron aircraft and see if there's any possibility of a serial ending in '22', as no other numerals seem to fit the shapes. And thanks for the link you provided to my compatriot. I've just checked out his thread.

Terry, do you think that photo is earlier or later than captioned? I must get some info from you as to roughly when the national markings changed and what the main differences were.

Nxthanos, I think you've done the job for me. That's exactly the image I was trying to post. I'll attempt your method in future cases.

And I can only apologise to all Aussies on the Forum for our disgraceful behaviour on Saturday!

Sláinte, Gerry :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back