Brewster Buffalo B339 (Tamiya, 1/48) (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Finished... judge me :)

buffin001.jpg

buffin001a.jpg

buffin002.jpg

buffin003.jpg

buffin004.jpg

buffin005.jpg

buffin006.jpg

buffin007.jpg

buffin008.jpg

buffin009.jpg

buffin010.jpg

Cheers

Roman

It was a local identification marking implemented for fighters in Far East Command. Similar ID markings had been used by Fighter Command in the UK during early 1940 (black/white undersides) and again in Dec 1940 (black/Sky undersides). By 1941, I believe Far East Command was the only organization using the markings - it was a decision made locally to aid recognition and identification of RAF fighters.

That turned out great. I have the same kit and will be using your build as a guide when I get around to building it.

It was a local identification marking implemented for fighters in Far East Command. Similar ID markings had been used by Fighter Command in the UK during early 1940 (black/white undersides) and again in Dec 1940 (black/Sky undersides). By 1941, I believe Far East Command was the only organization using the markings - it was a decision made locally to aid recognition and identification of RAF fighters.

Thanks - I learn something every day.

That turned out great. I have the same kit and will be using your build as a guide when I get around to building it.

Bear in mind the Tamiya markings aren't 100% accurate. The dragon marking for Noel Sharp's aircraft was only painted on the port side of the fuselage and the port underwing roundel did not have a yellow outer ring. The code letters should be in Sky Blue, as should the fuselage stripe and the front half of the spinner. Also, to be really picky, the red centre of the fuselage roundels is too large while that of the underwing roundels is too small (for some reason, Brewster got the ratios wrong for the first 70 or so machines, the red centre being over-large). Finally, the underside window was not overpainted on Commonwealth Buffalos in Singapore.

One other additional (and easy!) mod to the Tamiya kit for RAF Buffalos would be the addition of a second landing light - there should be one under each wing.

HTH,
B-N

Bear in mind the Tamiya markings aren't 100% accurate. The dragon marking for Noel Sharp's aircraft was only painted on the port side of the fuselage and the port underwing roundel did not have a yellow outer ring. The code letters should be in Sky Blue, as should the fuselage stripe and the front half of the spinner. Also, to be really picky, the red centre of the fuselage roundels is too large while that of the underwing roundels is too small (for some reason, Brewster got the ratios wrong for the first 70 or so machines, the red centre being over-large). Finally, the underside window was not overpainted on Commonwealth Buffalos in Singapore.

One other additional (and easy!) mod to the Tamiya kit for RAF Buffalos would be the addition of a second landing light - there should be one under each wing.

HTH,
B-N

Thanks for the information. I'll keep that in mind when I build mine.

Any time Jayl. Just ask away - I can bore forever on the Buffalo.

One final point, the wing roundels were positioned right at the very tips of the wings. It looks odd but that's where they put 'em. There are several pics online (check out the LIFE image archive via Google - look for "Singapore 1941" and you'll find lots of interesting Buffalo pics, it just takes a while to find them all).

Beautiful build Roman, and great info 'Buff! I will also use that for my builds (Tamiya 1/48 'Yellow wing', Special Hobby 1/72 'Commonwealth')

Roman, love your subtle weathering. Looks just right (to me)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back