Dirk's 1/72 Revell Me 262 v1 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

dirkpitt289

Master Sergeant
Jul 16, 2009
South Plainfield New Jersey
It's been some time since I've posted on this forum but I've been in an auto mood lately and have been building nothing but cars. It feels good to get the urge to build an aircraft again. For this build I'm going to go with one of the truly early jets of World War II. i'm going with the ME 262 v1 in its 1942 configuration. That is the mostly traditional 262 body shape with the early BMW003 engines along with a 750HP Jumo 210A piston driven motor and a 2 blade wooden prop. As I'm sure most of you also know the earlier prototypes were tail draggers. Not a lot of attention will be paid to the interior as the focal point is the exterior.

Here's an idea of what the 3 engine v1 looked like. not many photos exist of this aircraft so if anyone has any please feel free to post them.
me262v1.jpg

As there are no Me 262 v1 kits to the best of my knowledge I'll have to create my own. Here are the kits I will be using for this build. After a bit more research I realize there will be very little used from the 109 kit then I thought. I had originally thought I would need the wings, prop/ spinner, engine manifolds, intake scoop, and tail wheel.
IMG_1528.jpg

I decided to star with the wigs for now as they are one of the biggest differences in the prototypes to the production models. If you look at the photo below comparing the kit wings to the v1 diagram you will see the differences in the wings. The production wings are more forward on the fuselage and sweep back at a steeper angle. The prototype was not so tapered.

IMG_1531-1.jpg

Much better

IMG_1541.jpg

Next it was time to address the wheel wells. If you look at the picture below and compare the differences in the location of the wheel wells. The v1 landing gear was more forward then in the production models. Time for the real surgery to begin.

IMG_1541b.jpg

I started by cutting out the kits wheel wells and put them aside for the time being.

IMG_1542.jpg

Next I cut out the area where I want the wheel wells to go

IMG_1543.jpg

Next I trimmed out the hole a bit and moved the wheel wells forward

IMG_1544.jpg

Using my good friend Evergreen plastic I back filled the area behind the wheel wells

IMG_1549.jpg

IMG_1550.jpg

Well that's all for now. Time to hit the sheets for some well deserved zzzzzzzz's.

Till next time thanks for looking

It always seems to happen this way. No matter how long I look I always find something after I've started. I'll save this info for another time.

On another note when did they start inserting adds into the middle of our posts? :evil::rolleyes:

Good stuff Dirk, looking forward to the developing build. I used to have a couple of colour photos of this aircraft, but blowed if i can find them now!
BTW, can't see any ads in the posts - they do appear if not logged in though.

If you have those color photos please feel free to post them because I'm just about ready to start laying paint and have been unsure of the correct colors.

I think you're right it was because I wasn't logged in.

Hi Dirk, nice to see you back!

A nice job so far. But if I could put my three cents here..... the process of cutting out these wheel bays might have been running in a little bit different way. It would let you save some of work, a putty and plastic. Also it is important if you are going to scribe new panel lines. Just you would have the same kind of plastic to engrave these lines in.

The first step (pic1) - cutting out the entire middle of the wing bottom with wheel bays together.
The second step (pic2) - cutting off of the front strip letting the part with wheel wells be moved forward.
The third step (pic3) - attaching the front strip to the back of the wing hole.

Finally, the part with wheel compartment should be added.

Attachments

• IMG_1542a1.jpg
    IMG_1542a1.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 448
  • IMG_1542a2.jpg
    IMG_1542a2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_1542a3.jpg
    IMG_1542a3.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Been looking around for those pics Dirk, but without any luck. They were in a magazine article from many years ago, and it's possible that the particular bunch of magazines has been left behind when I last moved house.

Small update... Here is the production tail

IMG_1552.jpg

Now here it is after some rework with a file

IMG_1553.jpg

Assembled the nose section and filled n the gear doors as this is a tail dragger

IMG_1563.jpg

Also filled in the gun ports on the nose.

IMG_1562.jpg

Engines assembled

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

Welcome back Dirk. Interesting project. I know I posted some other pics of this plane somewhere as someone else was doing this thing I thought. Will take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back