My FW-190 (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This is my latest unfinished flying warbird. Ive built a few Guillows kits including both Fw190s, and loved each build. I wish I could remember details about the flight performance but I was 13 at the time.........along time ago!

good luck flying it.

Attachments

• fw190 front.JPG
    fw190 front.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 153
Ive been building my fw190 over the last couple of months. The plane is a scratch built model from scale drawings. I just enlarged the plans in photoshop and built it how I liked really!. The wings are foam core sheeted in 1/32 sheet balsa. The fuse is sheeted in 1/32 and over stringers and formers. The wingspan is 32 inches. I will power this ship with a brushless motor and have controls for elevator, ailerons and throttles. The ailerons are also connected to the tail wheel for taxi-ing into the wind for take off. Im planning to add panel lines and weathering for some authenticity. I did the paint job with a some brushes and sponges as I dont have an airbrush as yet. I plan to detail it like the Schnell FW190a.

Thanks Wayne. Ive really enjoyed the painting part so far. My wife promised an airbrush so it will be the last plane painted the old way.

Charles and Wurger: I don't know if you've found a good North Africa camo for the FW but I just found a profile in a Warbird Modelling Mag (FineScale Modeller Special Edition) from Oct. 2003 with a profile of a desert 190. A Fw 190A-4 flown by Oblt. Adolf Dickfeld of II./JG 2 in Tunisia. Sandgelb 79 overall with splotches of what looks like green (no number) all over. Light Blue 78 undersides with white spinner, cowling underside and under wingtips. White band with yellow numeral "16". Will try to find a pic and post.

and NZ, your Focke-Wulf looks great! Wish I had that skill.

Njaco Wurger: Thanks for your assist on this. Hope to paint it this week-
end..... weather permitting....

Oh.... I do have all the paint, the schwarzgrun came in.

Charles

I need some info on the three bladed prop for the FW-190A4. Did the blades
kinda taper at the tips, or were they flat on the tip ? The scratch-built one
I made for my 190..... the blades are too long, and they are flat tipped, so
I have to do some cutting, about 1/2 inch ..... and shaping.... Thanks....

Charles

There is a pic of Fw190A prop blade.There were used two kinds of a propeller.A metal three-blades one VDM 9-12176 A-3 with 3300mm in diameter or wooden VDM 9-12157 H-3 with 3500mm in diameter.

Attachments

• fw190 prop blade.jpg
    fw190 prop blade.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 117
Charles and Wurger, I'm a dunderhead! The colors I posted are for a different machine (the caption for the profile was above the pic not below in my book! :oops: )

The pic caption is: "Desert yellow 27 on all upper surfaces with 71 mottling and light blue 65 undersides. White 21 spinner, underside of engine cowling, wingtips and fuselage band while the number "16" is in yellow 4"

I really should keep my nose out things.

Take easy friend :).I thought you had meant the A-3 version of Fw 190 used in North Africa in 1943.But there is a mistake in the description.RLM 27 Gelb is yellow in English.For a desert camo was used a sand colour which was in two tonalities.The first RLM79 Sandgelb FS33434 (sand-yellow colour) was applied on planes during the first early period of Africa campaign in field conditions.The second RLM79 Sandbraun FS30215 (sand brown colour) was painted on aircraft later.

Wurger all:

Just finished painting the yellow under the cowl. The light blue underside
is all done. I'm uploding a pic. Oh... the FW is sitting in my home-made
cardboard box "painting booth". Tomorrow I will start the desert camo.
I'm doing the desert camo that Wurger uploaded the three way pic's of.
I don't know if that was an ace's machine or not. This is the one with the
white stripes on the wings and a white strip on the rear of the fuselage.

Charles

Attachments

• DSC_0065.JPG
    DSC_0065.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 100
Hallo Ccheese,

I cannot wait to see the final effect of your work.It looks great.
And, yes the Fw 190 was an ace's aircraft.There is a link where you can read about him.

Aces of the Luftwaffe - Erich Rudorffer

The "painting booth" is a good idea.Because I make a bit smaller models a box after shoes is enough.

Wurger, Wayne others: Started doing the desert camo, today. Got the
sand-yellow done. Will let it dry til evening, and see if I can get the olive-
green on it then. The masked off area on the wings and fuselage is for the white stripe.

Charles

Attachments

• Camo.jpg
    Camo.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Camo1.jpg
    Camo1.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 103

Users who are viewing this thread

Back