Tamiya 1/48 P-47 Thunderbolt of 404th Fighter/Bomber (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bucksnort101

2nd Lieutenant
Sep 11, 2007
Minnesota
This will be the first group build I've participated and the first model airplane I've built in well over 20 years so I guess that would make me a beginner/novice (I never did advance beyond a spray can, paintbrush and some Testors glue back then)?
Hope to get building in a week or so as I am still gathering information on the specific aircraft I plan to build. Am actually finding some inconsistnacies with the Aeromaster Decal set and any of the pictures I've found on James Mullins 3 different P-47's named Snorting Bull. Pictures of these aircraft, and aircraft of the 404th are hard to come by.
One question I do have befor beginning. Rules state that I must state any aftermarket parts used on the build. Do these parts have to be names right up front or can they be described as the build progresses?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. Picked up a half dozen books at the library this past weekend on the P-47. Also have the Osprey Book on building the P-47 which does feature this aicraft with the markings I plan on using, but I have yet to find an actual picture that even closely looks like the aircraft modelled in the book. Aeromaster decal sheet shows the paint job pretty closely to how he has it modelled in the book, but I have yet to find a picture of a Snorting Bull that is the same. Looks to me like they may have combined a couple different paint scemes tof aircraft from the 404th to make one that looks nicer?
Will comb through those books and see if I can find a match.

Nice one Buck! Just shout if you need help, or pics or whatever, I'm sure there'll be plenty of support.
As for any aftermarket parts used, just announce them as they are introduced. It's easier that way, as it's often difficult o know if any will be needed at the start.

Try these :D

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 609
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    80.1 KB · Views: 417
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 357
Thanks all. Been trying to find picture of Snorting Bull. As far as I can telll there are 3 aircraft by this name flown by James A. Mullins. The first Snorting Bull was a Razorback model, II and III both appear to have been Bubble Canopy models, P-47d-27's?
Very few pics of the aircraft are out there and I suspect the model I want to reporoduce as show in the Osprey book "Modelling the P-47 Thunderbolt by Brett Green" is Snorting Bull II? Can't find a good picture of this aircraft to verify the paint sceme. Just the Opsprey bok model, a 21st Century Model and the Aeromaster Decal sheet show this specific pain scheme so I will accept them as being accurate.

First Pic shows the Aeromaster decal sheet, middle aircraft is what I hope to reproduce, this is the aircraft picture the eludes me, seen other with similar marking, only the bull emblem is either on the cowl, or it does not have the black ring around the front edge of the nacelle as in the last picture (this is Snorting Bull III, I think)? Middle picture is a 21st Century model of the sceme I am looking for.

Got a few books to scan through tonight so I hope to fnd a picture of this aircraft.

Attachments

• Snortin Bill III.jpg
    Snortin Bill III.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 535
  • Snortin Bull Model.jpg
    Snortin Bull Model.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 413
  • Snorting Bull Decals.jpg
    Snorting Bull Decals.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 430
Thanks all. Been trying to find picture of Snorting Bull. As far as I can telll there are 3 aircraft by this name flown by James A. Mullins. The first Snorting Bull was a Razorback model, II and III both appear to have been Bubble Canopy models, P-47d-27's?
Very few pics of the aircraft are out there and I suspect the model I want to reporoduce as show in the Osprey book "Modelling the P-47 Thunderbolt by Brett Green" is Snorting Bull II? Can't find a good picture of this aircraft to verify the paint sceme. Just the Opsprey bok model, a 21st Century Model and the Aeromaster Decal sheet show this specific pain scheme so I will accept them as being accurate.

First Pic shows the Aeromaster decal sheet, middle aircraft is what I hope to reproduce, this is the aircraft picture the eludes me, seen other with similar marking, only the bull emblem is either on the cowl, or it does not have the black ring around the front edge of the nacelle as in the last picture (this is Snorting Bull III, I think)? Middle picture is a 21st Century model of the sceme I am looking for.

Got a few books to scan through tonight so I hope to fnd a picture of this aircraft.

Dohhh, Not my day, Ive been looking for the wrong aircraft. :oops: Though I think I pasted a picture of that aircraft. Must be time to go to bed :( For some reason I seen the siggy and thought that was the aircraft you needed.

Dohhh, Not my day, Ive been looking for the wrong aircraft. :oops: Though I think I pasted a picture of that aircraft. Must be time to go to bed :( For some reason I seen the siggy and thought that was the aircraft you needed.

No problem, I appreciate the effort. I did find one picture of this aircraft on this very web-site, just not in the specific paint scheme I was looking for. Not a lot of information out there on the 404th, low level bombing and strafing squadrons just did not have the glamour of the guys with big tallies of enemy kills. I find this part of the airwar very interesting myself.

No problem, I appreciate the effort. I did find one picture of this aircraft on this very web-site, just not in the specific paint scheme I was looking for. Not a lot of information out there on the 404th, low level bombing and strafing squadrons just did not have the glamour of the guys with big tallies of enemy kills. I find this part of the airwar very interesting myself.

Well I still feel bad, I think I looked through 22 different books on the P-47 before I realized it was the wrong aircraft. I do have the book Leap Off of the 404th fighter group but it doesnt have any aircraft pictures. Just pictures of the pilots in there cockpit but you cant see any details on the aircraft as they are close in shots.

I did download that book/unit history from the internet off from Winkton-dot-net web-site last week and noticed the same pictures. Did find these though. First pic is the Razorback, second is SB II and third is SB III. I am convinced the model I want to build is Snorting Bull II, but decals label it as Snortin Bull.
Guess a trip to the model shop is in order to see if I can find that decal sheet.

BTW, from where is Wisconsin do you hail? Too bad about what those Queens did to them Packers this weekend;)

Attachments

• Snorting Bull Razorback.jpg
    Snorting Bull Razorback.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 378
  • Snorting Bull II.jpg
    Snorting Bull II.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 447
  • Snorting Bull III  A.jpg
    Snorting Bull III A.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 319
I did download that book/unit history from the internet off from Winkton-dot-net web-site last week and noticed the same pictures. Did find these though. First pic is the Razorback, second is SB II and third is SB III. I am convinced the model I want to build is Snorting Bull II, but decals label it as Snortin Bull.
Guess a trip to the model shop is in order to see if I can find that decal sheet.

BTW, from where is Wisconsin do you hail? Too bad about what those Queens did to them Packers this weekend;)

Well I live in Greenville Wi, which is about 30 minutes North of Oshkosh Wi. As for the ship I will keep looking. Just will have to start over in the books. Hopfully I will get lucky. As for the Packers, well Im probably one of the few that does not watch football in Wisconsin

Just got back from the hobby shop and picked up a set of the Aeromaster Decals. Lo and behold included with the decals is an actual picture of the bird in question albeit it's pretty small, but at least it's a start.

Good selection Greg, I'll have a look at my limited library to see if I can come up with some details for you.
:hotsun: :hotsun:

Thanks all for the encouragement. Looking forward to starting but will have to wait until next week as this week will be a busy one. Still reading up on modelling skills and subject matter, and am looking for a copy of P-47 Walk around by Squadron/Signal. Must be out of print as the ones I have found are pretty expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back