Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Build (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good stuff Dale. A couple of pics I found on the net:

Mustang_VH-JUC_20_med.jpg

p51rearradramp.jpg

Hey, Andy,
Thank you for the pictures! They are a great help. A quick question, is that an actuator arm or a maintenance tool to hols the outlet door fixed?
Dale

Hey, Andy,
Thanks! Time to stretch some sprue. Ahhhh, reminds me of the "good old days" before resin and photoetch. Thats when men were men and the sheep were afraid.
Dale

Hey, All,
Brief update....... moving slower than I like. But, work is hectic this week.

Belly from front.JPG
Left Side Fuse.JPG
Rgt Side Fuse.JPG
Top from rear.JPG

lastly, I am going to try this for a wheel well mask and to hold the well doors in place when I spray the underside.....
Wheel Mask.JPG

Dale

Curious to here about the Simple Green as well Dale. We used to get this stuff by the bucket load in the last mine I worked at.(for doing the house work in the equipment.) Pit looks nice too.

Geo

Well, I did try the Simply Green. All I could find was the off the shelf spray cleaner at Wal Mart. That did not work at all. SO, I did the brake fluid thing and that worked like the cat's meow.
Dale

Hey, Guys,
One last problem area. please see the pic below. This is a re-use of an earlier pic with added ballon and text highlighting the problem area.

Fuse belly 1.JPG

I have tried the acetone/q-tip idea and by the time I get all the putty out of the areas I do not want it in, it is all gone. I am really scratching my head on this one. I just now the answer will be one of those Homer Simpson "Doh" moments.

Thanks,
Dale

Hey, Wayne,
That is what I was thinking. I need to pop into my LHS to see what they have in stock that is THIN. The stock I have at home is just a tad too thick and it would fill the depth at the shallow end of the inset.
Dale

Hey, Guys,
I have the filler shaped and installed. It is not a perfect fit, but nice. BTW, Doh! I did cut it a tad over size and trimmed and sanded to fit. I could not find any thinner stock than I already had. I wound up sanding it down to about half the original thickness after I had it sized. I was sparing as I could be with the glue. it looks ok. I may hit it with some folded fine sandpaper to ensure it is smoothed down nicely. I'll try to post a pic or two once I find the damned CF card for the camera.
I am now doing a final walk through the instructions to ensure I have everything done to the point of starting the painting. It seems I do, but I tend to dbl check myself. Hopefully, I can get the belly painted this weekend if not the top as well. it seems that masking the open canopy wil be a tad tricky with the way the top access hatch is molded open. I'll give the ole scotch tape/x-acto thing a shot on that tomorrow night.
I had forgotten how fun and relaxing this hobby is. I am really enjoying my time at the bench and this is made even more pleasant by being able to afford the tools now.
Dale

Last edited:
Hey, Paul,
Damned good idea!!! Heck, the ketchup containers at Chik-Fil-A would work very nicely as well. Think I will grab some today.
Dale

Hey, All,
Well, had an idea hit me while waiting for my vanilla, 3 shots, 4 pumps, lite foam, 4 splenda frappwhateveryoucallit. Stir sticks would make GREAT sanding sticks. So, I grabbed a few extra and came home and cut and white glued 320, 500, and 1200 grit sandpaper to some (see pic 1). What I like about this idea is I can choose EXACTLY what grits I want and I can trim them to fit as needed.
Sanding sticks.JPG

So, here is the ptach in place over that troublesome seam I mentioned earlier. When the sanding sticks are dry, I will finish that up and I should be ready to start spraying tonight.
Fuse Belly with patch in place.JPG

Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back