Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fubar57 View Post
    Curious to here about the Simple Green as well Dale. We used to get this stuff by the bucket load in the last mine I worked at.(for doing the house work in the equipment.) Pit looks nice too.

Geo
    Well, I did try the Simply Green. All I could find was the off the shelf spray cleaner at Wal Mart. That did not work at all. SO, I did the brake fluid thing and that worked like the cat's meow.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Guys,
    One last problem area. please see the pic below. This is a re-use of an earlier pic with added ballon and text highlighting the problem area.

-fuse-belly-1.jpg

I have tried the acetone/q-tip idea and by the time I get all the putty out of the areas I do not want it in, it is all gone. I am really scratching my head on this one. I just now the answer will be one of those Homer Simpson "Doh" moments.

Thanks,
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    How 'bout slipping in a nice thin perfectly measured piece of plastic card...

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Wayne,
    That is what I was thinking. I need to pop into my LHS to see what they have in stock that is THIN. The stock I have at home is just a tad too thick and it would fill the depth at the shallow end of the inset.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Wayne beat me to it but I was thinking the same. Use the glue sparingly if you use thin card as it deforms easily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Guys,
    I have the filler shaped and installed. It is not a perfect fit, but nice. BTW, Doh! I did cut it a tad over size and trimmed and sanded to fit. I could not find any thinner stock than I already had. I wound up sanding it down to about half the original thickness after I had it sized. I was sparing as I could be with the glue. it looks ok. I may hit it with some folded fine sandpaper to ensure it is smoothed down nicely. I'll try to post a pic or two once I find the damned CF card for the camera.
    I am now doing a final walk through the instructions to ensure I have everything done to the point of starting the painting. It seems I do, but I tend to dbl check myself. Hopefully, I can get the belly painted this weekend if not the top as well. it seems that masking the open canopy wil be a tad tricky with the way the top access hatch is molded open. I'll give the ole scotch tape/x-acto thing a shot on that tomorrow night.
    I had forgotten how fun and relaxing this hobby is. I am really enjoying my time at the bench and this is made even more pleasant by being able to afford the tools now.
    Dale
    Last edited by dneid; 01-11-2013 at 12:13 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The next time you need extremely thin styrene, go to the local WaffleHouse and get some jelly containers. They are great!

"Curse you Red Baron!"-Snoopy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, Paul,
    Damned good idea!!! Heck, the ketchup containers at Chik-Fil-A would work very nicely as well. Think I will grab some today.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, All,
    Well, had an idea hit me while waiting for my vanilla, 3 shots, 4 pumps, lite foam, 4 splenda frappwhateveryoucallit. Stir sticks would make GREAT sanding sticks. So, I grabbed a few extra and came home and cut and white glued 320, 500, and 1200 grit sandpaper to some (see pic 1). What I like about this idea is I can choose EXACTLY what grits I want and I can trim them to fit as needed.
    -sanding-sticks.jpg

So, here is the ptach in place over that troublesome seam I mentioned earlier. When the sanding sticks are dry, I will finish that up and I should be ready to start spraying tonight.
    -fuse-belly-patch-.jpg

Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    A very good idea. Please check the thread. The tool is really helpful if you need to "clean up" areas that are quite difficult to reach them with most of other tools.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/que...ool-16785.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, have done something similar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, All,
    Well, I am starting on the painting on the 'stang. My patience is being tried with the red band at the nose of Gentile's plane. Masking a straight line there is testing my patience sorely. But, it must be done. I'll post pics tomorrow.
    Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    I would spray the red first, then mask the red for the green coat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, All,
    Well, got the red sprayed on, masked, and got the belly done. I contemplated doing some panel line highlights first, but decided I will use a wash or pastels after the main colors and decals are on. So, I just shot the belly with gray after masking off the red. Man, Tamiya masking tape saved my bacon on a bitch of masking job over THAT set of compound curves! So, time for bed.
    -img_5886.jpg

Plan for tomorrow to get the canopy masked off, get the far aft glass in, the front windscreen, then mask off the rest of the cockpit and get the OD down. Any hints on weathering at this stage? I am not real confident of my weathering skills with the airbrush. In my past, I used chalk pastels and a gentle application of that for the more subtle weathering. I am curious about how badly USAAF aircraft suffered weathering in the UK. How badly did Gentile's plane get beat up? I think some subtle chipping on the leading edges, wing root, and prop blades are fine. Feedback?

Dale
    Last edited by dneid; 01-12-2013 at 02:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Colour pics of his aircraft - before he smashed it into the hump at Debden - show it to be relatively clean, with some paint chipping around screw heads on the cowlings and wing roots, but not that much. It also appeared to have a sheen to the overall finish, which might have been wax. Of course, the time of year would depend on it's overall appearance, with dirt splashes from the wheels, and the tyres dirty, in poor weather. The Crew Chief ensured the airframe was kept as clean as possible, not any easy job in the British weather (we don't have a climate - only weather!).

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast