Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Build (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I am thinking the problem may be something in the interaction of the decal and surface tension of the sol solution. I may try a SMALL drop of dish washing liquid to see of that breaks the tension. Anyone else have any ideas?
Dale

I just typed in "problems with tamiya decals" into google search. Lots of various problems came up and lots of people had no problems. It does seem to be the older kits.

Geo

Yeah, I messed with several ideas tonight. I did let the sol set up, the decals never settled in. It looked like they were 'floating" on the future. I finally tried to lift the left side stars and bars. It ripped. So, screw these decals. I'll make a note of the problem. My local LHS has a set of the Shangri La decals by Kit World I think. I'll grab those tomorrow.
I do need to post a pic of the area under the stars and bars. There is a distinct white "coating" there now. Not sure what it is. I was so frustrated by the end of the night, I said screw it. Time to put it away.
Dale

The white coating is probably a combination of decal adhesive and reacted Future. If using Future as a gloss clear coat, it's best to let it cure for at least 24 to 36 hours per coat, preferably a lot longer, perhaps up to a week. The Micro Sol/Set can start to partially dissolve the Future otherwise, which is, after all, a water-based, acrylic, synthetic 'wax'.
To remove the white appearance, gently wipe over with a damp, soft cloth and let it dry. Apply a further coat of Future to the area (by brush is fine, ensuring any drips, sags or runs are wicked off using the edge of a piece of tissue.) Once it dries, it should be gloss and clear again - but let it cure as above before applying any decals.

Hey, Terry,
Thank You!!! If I bend slightly, slightly mind you, at the waist, can you kick me in the arse? I let the Future cute around 20ish hours. Damnit! I know better than that. Now, the question that pops into my head is... wonder if that is/was the root cause of the problem? I think I will test a decal from the other markings on the P-47 I built up. It is just a test bird anyways. I'll let you all know.

I did find Shangri La decals by Kit World. I needed a replacement left fuse side insignia, so I ordered Superscale Decals P-51B P-51D Mustang WW2 Insignia Data as well. I was not real crazy about buying all those decals, but, can you ever have too many? Everything should be in within the next 10 days. Until then, I will recover what I can, re-shoot the future to see if the white "spooge" does clear up and let everything cure for 3-5 days.

Dale

Last edited:
Message from DHL Air Couriers: One (1) standard kick in the Rs has been dispatched from England, and should be with you shortly. Please ensure you are available to receive delivery. Message ends.

Hey, Terry,
Lol...... can you make over night delivery next time? Holding "the position" for more than 24 hrs is a little hard on the back.
Dale

Message from DHL Air Couriers; Msg#2 : Schedule ammendment - One (1) standard kick in the Rs has now been expedited, inbound via refurb SR71, ETA your location 18.00 hrs local. Please ensure to retain the required position until delivery is confirmed. A receipt signature will be required. Message ends.

Hope you get that sorted Dale. I've had the occasional reaction of deal solution with Future as well.

Proof of delivery and administration of one swift kick to the arse. Recipient did not complain and was satisfied with service renedered.

Last edited:
Hey, Andy,
Thank you. I'll keep you all posted on the recovery from my lack of patience. I am awaiting the arrival of the various decals to resume. I will clean the area up this weekend and re-apply future to effected spot and then let everything dry/cure for several days before I reattempt the decals.

Now, I am just waiting for the new compressor to get here. I finally broke down and ordered a quick disconnect set and additional male fittings for all 3 of my airbrushs. The compressor I ordered has a 2-3 L tank with 40PSI auto cut off with the regulator/moisture trap. I am looking so forward to the new compressor. But, a moment of silence for the passing of my 35 yr old Paasche compressor. It is almost like losing a friend.

Dale

Ok, all,
I grabbed a toothbrush and some generic windex and went to work on the white "spooge" on the fuse side this evening. Got almost all of it off in about 10 minutes. There is a tad left, but I think that will be covered by the USAAF insignia. So, washed it all off with dish washing detergent and have her set up to air dry. Hopefully, tomorrow I will spray Some Future back over that area with the NEW compressor (fingers crossed UPS tracking is accurate). Decals should be in in another few days. In the meantine, I am picking away at the Eduard Dora for the Dora Glora GB thing.
Laters,
Dale

Hey, All,
I was able to scrub most of the decal mess up with a toothbrush and some generic windex. The new compressor arrived (I LOVE IT) and I decided to reshoot the future this afternoon. Here are a couple of pics after the future had cured to the point of safe to handle.
Future 1 .JPG
Future 2.JPG
Future 3.JPG

I think I have recovered from the debacle the other night. So, the 'stang is up on a shelf and she will stay there for at least 3 days to cure. The new decals should be in by the end of the coming week. In the meantime, I cranked up the work for Dora Glora GB. Nothing worth snapping a pic yet. Hopefully, I can make a dent this weekend.

Thanks for all the help and advice and patience. I know I am nagging you guys to death at times.

Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back