Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Build (4 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One thought. There have been times that I noticed a slight "milky" look to fully cured future when placing a decal, after I placed it under a hot lamp the discoloration went away.

That's interesting Paul. I'll need to try that. Where I've had issues sometimes is when trying to repair a small bit of silvering or a bubble in the decal. I'll poke it with a pin and apply decal solution and this usually eliminates the bubble or silvering but sometimes leaves the white dusting under the decal.

Dale, looks like you got the issue nicely sorted. Good plan to leave it be for a few days.

Hey, Paul,
I am "curing" the Future under a painter's lamp with a 100 watt bulb. I have that maybe 18-24" above the model. I figured a little gentle heat could not hurt. So far everything is looking good. I have a nice, uniform sheen across the entire plane and no milky areas as well. Man, my electric company is gonna love me this month.
Dale

Quick Update. I have not abandoned the thread or the build. I am letting the Future cure while awaiting the new decal set. I am hoping to have the decals by the Saturday or Monday. As soon as they are in, I will start back on the build. Gotta get one completed!
Dale

Decals arrived Friday late in the day. I was up to my arse in the Dora engine plug build. That is now done. The Dora is back on the shelf and the first set of decals are down (one side). I'll post a pic or two as I get through the decal application. Man, these Superscale decals are sweet!
Dale

ok, here is an eternal mystery.... I have the kit decals, the Superscale decals, and the Kit World arrived today. ALL 3 sets have the checkerboard under the exhausts about 1 column too short. Everyone of em. The curve up at the aft side of the exhaust fall inside the opening for the exhaust, that lil tit of a curve up hangs into the opening. Grrrrrrrrr. Oh well.

Ok, here is a question for you. How do you all paint your exhausts on planes like the '51? I am thinking a burnt metal and a faint dry brushing of some rust around the outlets. Or, am I being too anal?

One other thing I have noticed. See the pic below. There is an area on the left wing root, right at the forward part of the joint that the future ALWAYS clouds up over ( circled in yellow below). I have removed the Future with windex, washed that area with more soap and denatured alcohol and recovered with Future twice now. Every time, that lil cloud returns. My plans for final finish are to just clean away the future once I am done with decaling and leave the Future off. I figure the final clear coat will cover that area just fine. Just another thing that makes me go "mmmmmmmm...."

Future 3.JPG

Dale

Last edited:
Good Evening, All,
Well, I spent the weekend with decals for the '51. Made great progress and I am happy with how things look so far. Here are a couple of pics.

Top Side Decaled 1.JPG

Side Decaled 2.JPG

As always, ALL feedback is welcomed.

Dale

Last edited:
Dale, the decals have really brought this bird to life they look to have gone down well. The issue with the future, I also noticed an area on the fuselage just left of the "F" that appears to have clouded. The only time I've had a problem with clouding is when I have used decalsoft but that disappears once you spray the flat coat. So fingers crossed that this will be the case for you.

One thing I have discovered, the decals for wing stripes are fine for the upper surfaces, but getting them to align on the underside will an exercise in frustration. Next time, I think I will paint these on versus using decals. Thoughts?
Dale

One thing I have discovered, the decals for wing stripes are fine for the upper surfaces, but getting them to align on the underside will an exercise in frustration. Next time, I think I will paint these on versus using decals. Thoughts?
Dale
Line them up as best you can then paint to connect.
Painting any markings is superior to using a decal. I'm just too lazy mostly.

Looks really good, Dale. Question: Do you airbrush or paint with the hairy stick ? Nice job, Mate...

Charles

Hey, Charles,
Thank you for your kind words. I tend to airbrush mostly now that I have a gravity feed brush that I like. I do hand brush still, mostly smaller details like the wheels/tires and landing gear legs, prop tips.....

Before I forget, thank you for the time you put in Moderating, Charles.

Dale

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back