Tamiya 1/48 P-51B Build (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey, All,
Well, the finish line was in sight until I screwed by not stopping to think about what I was doing and then test first. The spraying of the Tamiya Flat base / Future mix was a disaster resulting in a chalky finish when dry. I tried using alcohol carefully to lift the finish off without harming the decals. Care to guess the result? So, out came the brake fluid and the toothbrush. The original paint/finish is now stripped. Back to bare plastic and starting the finish over. Talk about a Homer Simpson moment. Oh well, live and learn. At least I have been able to recover the plane to the point where I can start the finish phase over.
So, anyone want to volunteer to kick me in the arse?

Slow down, guys. No need to rush into line and fight over who gets the 1st kick. Ya'll will get a turn. :-0

Dale

Er ... a bit late now, but once re-coated with Future, and then with the (properly mixed!) Future/Flat Base, the chalky look normally disappears. However, if it was exceptionally chalky, such as overall dusty grey/white, it might leave patches.

Hey, Terry,
The chalky residue was bad. To the point where the insignia blue back ground was hard to make out. So, when the alcohol did not make a difference other than crinkling the decal, I felt a full stripping was needed. I am not thrilled, but I write it off as a learning experience. Hopefully, this time around, things will click nicely for me. I was rather happy with the finish I had right up until the flat base issues. So, time to suck it up and get her straightened out and give her a go again.
Dale

Um, yes, well.....definite learning experience. So, Future will come off with Windex and presumably this could work with a bit of Tamiya FB mixed in. Always, try something new out on an expendable part first. Consider your a$$ kicked!

Hey, Guys,
Yeah, it sucked. I did try alcohol, windex, and a touch of acrylic thinner at the end. Nothing really made a dent that could be salvaged. So, like I said, lesson learned, the basic plane is still in great shape with the finish off. So, I feel I am ahead of the curve in the recovery. What is life other than a series of lessons?

Man, am I waxing THAT philosophical?

Arse kicked and paddled. Sitting down gently to clean up the desk and get ready to restart the finish tomorrow. During cure times, I will be working on da Dora again.

Dale

ok, new paint on, looking pretty good again. Started with the stripes painted on first then masked. Looks good IMO. Just finished a clear gloss coat. I'll post pics when it dries to the touch.
Dale

I have another set of Gentile's markings, so I am going to go that way. I figure another few days of work. I hope to have the bird wrapped up late in the week and then turn to the Dora in earnest. I am not very good at doing multiple kits at once, I just do not have the work space to cleanly separate the kits. One thing I can say, this has sure been a learning experience, one I am not in a hurry to repeat.
Dale

hey, Guys,
I should have asked this weeks ago. Just plain forgot until I was ready to assemble the LG assemblies. Does anyone have any pics of a '51B's landing gear legs shwing the brake line routing? If so, would you mind posting 1 or 5?
Dale

This might be easier to follow than a photo.

Attachments

• Can Jan 022.jpg
    Can Jan 022.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 162
Hey, Terry,
That is VERY helpful. However, a couple of questions wrt drawing 1:
1) is this from the front of the aircraft?
2) the brake line in dashes, is that routed on the back side of the leg assembly? I am assume it is.
3) The elements in red, are these hydraulic line coupling fittings?

Thanks,
Dale

Hi Dale, it's looking from the front. Where the 'loop' in the line is shown is of course the rubber hose, running down the rear of the yoke, to connect with the brake cylinder point. The parts marked red are the towing and tie down eyes. Far as I remember on the Tamiya kit parts, these are moulded as small tabs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back