I almost picked this one up today. You are doing a nice job!
Don Gentile's plane is a great one.
"Curse you Red Baron!"-Snoopy
Looking good Dale. I don't see anything wrong with what you've done so far. I picked up this kit at a swap in the summer and am looking forward to building it, though it won't be Gentille's rig. More likely will be used for NMF practice!
Off to a good start.
Thanks for the comments. I am not 100% happy with the cockpit. I found several sources for the various switches (e.g red, yellow, etc). There were some conflicts so I went with what looked good to me. Most of this will be hard to see once the fuse halves are mated. I did screw up in the initial airbrushing. I painted the interior of the wheel doors zinc chromate versus silver/aluminum. I think I will give the paint strip with Simply Green a try to get the zinc off before I reshoot with aluminum. More curious to try Simply Green than anything else. Yeah, maybe a concern with how a zinc chromate undercoat will impact the final color of the aluminum.
I can say the fit of the kit so far is damned nice. The only area I am worried about is the radiator inlet under the belly. Dry fit leads me to believe there may be a need to fill a sink in the mold, not a gap. Of course, I will let you all know. Hey, has anyone seen an idea about using acetone/Qtip to smooth out filler putty to blend it in real nice? If so, please let me know where to find it. I could swear I saw one, but I cannot find it now.
One last thing. I bought an Airfix 1/24th Mossie off ebay. It arrived this last Friday. Holy hell, what a kit!!! I sure hope it goes together as nicely as it seems after a box review. I just LOVE the Mossie and I am looking forward to that one. But, that one is about 6 down in the stack with a 1/48th Tamiya Mossie before it.
Let me know how the NMF works out and what you used and any techniques I need to know about. I am looking at the Tamiya P-51D in NMF. However, the last time I was deep into the hobby, the only NMF technique was using aluminum foil with a specail, thinned down rubber cement. What a pain in the ass. However, with patience (not my strongest suit) you could do a damned nice job. I did a 1/32 P-47N in that and it came out nice after weeks of glue, trim, paste, trim, tweak, repeat. I was looking into the Alclad line of stuff. However, my LHS did not have much in stock. Too bad, they were doing a 30% off sale until yesterday.
Look forward to seeing what you do with the kit and the NMF.
Curious to here about the Simple Green as well Dale. We used to get this stuff by the bucket load in the last mine I worked at.(for doing the house work in the equipment.) Pit looks nice too.
So much plastic, so little glue, even less time!
Tamiya P-51 is a nice fitting kit, done good so far Dale!
Looking good mate!
Jan "Felicis Tredecim"
"I´m going back to the front to relax"
"THE BLACK CATS FLIES TONIGHT"
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant!"
"When you're out of F-8's... You're out of fighters!"
Looking good so far - it's a nice, simple kit, built a couple myself, so there shouldn't be too many fit problems. Don't worry about any inaccuarcies in the cockpit, as not everything can be seen clearly once buttoned up, and anyway, the floor is wrong in the kit!
Somewhere here in the Modelling section there is a guide on NMF I wrote a few years back, which might give you some ideas. There are other ways of course, but see what you think. from what I remember, it's titled 'Bare metal made easy' or something similar.
Happy New Year. I hope you and yours are safe and enjoyed the New Year.
Well, a quick update. I joined the fuse halves tonight. Fit was overall damned good. BUT, there is always a but, there is a distinct gap between the radiator outlet and the fuselage as shown in the 1st pict below:
I sat back and took a good look at the area and decided that with the tail wheel doors just right there filling the gap with putty may not be the best idea. I took some sheet and made a filler. Some initial sanding of the filler piece out of the plane got me close. I then placed the piece into the gap and glued it in place. Yes, there will be some tight sanding to be done, but I think this was easier than putty. Also, note the recessed area I mentioned in my previous post. Looks like that will take some putty and not a minor amount either. I'll know better tomorrow. See picture below:
Oh, I did figure out how to resize my images down. I think I am at 1024x768 now with low quality jpegs. Let me know if these come across ok for you guys.
As far as these pictures are concerned. These look fine but the 1024 pixels in their width are still too much. Just 800 pixels are enough. And you don't need to set the low quality for JPG files. We suggest using the Irfanview program for that. With the soft it is very easy to re-size any picture and changing its file type. Also the soft changes the file size automatically when saving re-sized image keeping the best quality of it though.
Looking good Dale. I think regardless of the presence of the tail wheel doors, puttying a gap like that without a secure backing would never work anyway. I would expect putty to break and fall into a gap that size.