Bombs

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Elmas

Staff Sergeant
Jan 17, 2011
Italy
Cagliari in February 1943 suffered very heavy bombardments, that made thousands of victims.
My Father was just in the middle of them, in a place named Piazza Matteotti, a few tens of meters from the where the following photo was taken. "I could find a refuge in a tiny hole " my Father said "that could scarcely hide one person, but we managed to stay there in two, myself and a German soldier, tightly tied.."

piazza-matteotti-bombardata.jpg

In 1986 when my Father was in Tripoli, Lybia, 1986, He did get awake by F-111s....

Exactly in the same place there is a building named Palazzo Vivanet that used to be an Hotel.
Palazzo Vivanet.jpg

You will notive that the center of the building is made with bricks of a lighter color.
Those bricks are the result of a rebuilt after that, in WWII 1943, an Allied bomb aimed at some warships, as the port is very close, heavily damaged the building.

PALAZZO-VIVANET3.jpg

My Uncle (my Mother's elder Brother) was then a very young Clerk Assistant in the Hotel and was buried by the debris but, fortunately, he saved himself as he found shelter under his desk, that was very sturdy built in oak.
My Uncle made all his career in that hotel until his retirement and he is now in his '90s and still fit and active and he told me that when they rebuilt the building the bricks were absolutely of the same color.
During WWII in the hotel there were the Headquarters of the Luftwaffe in Sardinia, as the Elmas, Decimomannu, Monserrato and Capoterra airports were all close by, and of course it was full of German personnel.
In recent times my Uncle was asked by someone if he was not scared by the presence of all those Germans.
"Scared?" my Uncle replied "Why scared? They always payed the rent of the hotel with admirable punctuality.....

Last edited:
My Uncle, who survived the bombing of the hotel in 1943, died today aged 91.
I was told by his Son of this nice story.
In the hotel were the Headquarters of the Luftwaffe in Sardinia, as the Elmas, Decimomannu, Monserrato and Capoterra airports were all close by, and of course it was full of German personnel.
In recent times my Uncle was asked by someone if he was not scared by the presence of all those Germans.
"Scared?" my Uncle replied "Why scared? They always payed the rent of the hotel with admirable punctuality.....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back