A Spitfire part?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Marcogrifo

Airman 1st Class
Oct 1, 2006
Genoa, Italy
Hi all, hope this is the right place to post an inquiry.

This part was found near a site (in Italy, I think) where a Spitfire crashed during WWII; has anybody a clue about what can it be?
Thanks in advance.

pezzo1.jpg

pezzo2.jpg

pezzo3.jpg

pezzo5.jpg

Cheers

P.S.: I'm not the owner of that part, so I can't say more about it...

Given the mechanical action that you've demonstrated
and the metal pipe union above it, I'll take a guess and say cooling system, possibly even the thermostat assembly.

I'll have a dig around and see if I can find anything more scientific than my guess

Given the mechanical action that you've demonstrated
and the metal pipe union above it, I'll take a guess and say cooling system, possibly even the thermostat assembly.

I'll have a dig around and see if I can find anything more scientific than my guess
Thank you, Colin.

Actually
it looks more like a mechanical cam-driven pump of some sort, than a thermostat assembly

Hello chaps,
the part in the posted photo's is a firing solenoid, the unit was mounted the bottom rear end of a .303" Browning, the lift arm is the manual bolt release for the gun.

Kind regards,
Dave

Can I take it then that the pipe union was for pneumatic delivery, rather than hydraulic?

Not the clearest shot in the world, but gives some idea of the location Dave was talking about

The installation from below and to the rear; to the left of the gun may be seen the harmonisation locking quadrant for raising or lowering the barrel; the braided cable running underneath the gun carried high pressure air to fire the weapon.

Attachments

• Browning install.jpg
    Browning install.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 123
A closer view of the unit fitted to a replica .303" Browning mounted in a Spitfire MkV wing, minus air connection and gun mounting bolts.

Kind regards,
Dave

Last edited:
WOW! Many Many Thanks guys! :cheers:
Excellent job =D>

BTW, I suspected that lever had to be operated by hand, but I didn't figure out it was related with armament.

Here what the owner of the part has found:
pezzomisterioso.jpg

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back