12.7 mm Breda-SAFAT ammo belt composition

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

greybeard

Airman 1st Class
Oct 25, 2011
Please, could you help me finding historical composition of the typical ammunition belt with which this heavy machine gun was loaded during WWII?

Thank you so much, Greyman! Your reply (already informative in itself) disclosed me a world of news! Started searching for differences between the two incendiary (blue body and white tip) and found this:

Breda ammo (12.7mm and 7.7mm)

summarizing:

White tip looks to be APIT.
It seems there isn't a "blue body" but a "blue tip" I.

Also interesting:
<<First, the RA lacked any kind of standatization and pilots could choose their own belt, but on a book on the Re 2001 a pilot describe the belt for the .50cal as "mixed shells of armor piercing, tracer, explosive and incendiary. worth to note is that he calls that belt "very effective" and that the british "envied the HE shell">>

Thank you so much, Greyman! Your reply (already informative in itself) disclosed me a world of news! Started searching for differences between the two incendiary (blue body and white tip) and found this:

Breda ammo (12.7mm and 7.7mm)

summarizing:

White tip looks to be APIT.
It seems there isn't a "blue body" but a "blue tip" I.

Also interesting:
<<First, the RA lacked any kind of standatization and pilots could choose their own belt, but on a book on the Re 2001 a pilot describe the belt for the .50cal as "mixed shells of armor piercing, tracer, explosive and incendiary. worth to note is that he calls that belt "very effective" and that the british "envied the HE shell">>

Report on 12.7mm belt order of Italian CR42 fighters in Belgium (examined in England 1940):

1- ordinary (bright bullet)
1- tracer (bright bullet, red tip)
1- incendiary tracer (brass finish with blue band)
1- explosive (brass bullet with red band)
1- special (plain bullet with pointed nose painted white)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back