205 Group 142 Sq Wellington Mk X Camouflage 1943/ 44

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lawqbarr

Recruit
Jul 9, 2009
Dad flew Wellington Mk Xs in North Africa out of Kairouan in Tunis and Blida with 142 Squadron RAF ( part of 205 Group)

During his life he made 2 models of his favourite Mk X Wellington - QT * G LN914- Both his models were done with the high wavy edged night/ black sides and under-surfaces with Dark Earth/ Green upper camo

Since Dad died I have unearthed a bit of conflicting information about Wellington camo in North Africa - It seems some Mk ICs and Mk Xs were flown out from the UK in the the Mid/Stone Earth scheme and others left the UK in the standard European Dark Earth/ Green -

My dear old Dad wasn't colour blind (!) but the existence of the Mid Stone/ Earth scheme was never discussed between us - looking at Dad's two models I just assumed all Wellingtons in North Africa wore the Dark Earth. Green scheme. I now know I was wrong

I have a couple of B&W photos of Dad in front of QT * G but ( unsurprisingly ) I cannot discern whether the colours are dark earth/ green or mid stone/ earth

Can anyone help resolving this issue ? I don't wish to sound disrespectful but, after drawing a blank trying to track down surviving members of Dad's squadron through the 142 squadron association, I have done a fair bit of speculation myself and was hoping for something pretty conclusive such as some sort of surviving Squadron or Group directive about camo or maybe something from the factory records for this particular machine ... it seems some were painted at the factory in the Mid Stone/earth scheme for delivery to North Africa ... all very confusing

Kind regards to all in these trying times
David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back