Aircraft Sketch Details from WW2 Aviation Week

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
DesgnDetail1940-1.jpg
DesgnDetail1940-2.jpg
DesgnDetail1940-3.jpg
DesgnDetail1940-4.jpg
DesgnDetail1940-5.jpg
DesgnDetail1940-6.jpg
DesgnDetail1940-7.jpg
DesgnDetail1940-8.jpg
DesgnDetail1940-9.jpg
DesgnDetail1940-11.jpg
DesgnDetail1941-1.jpg
DesgnDetail1941-2.jpg
DesignDetailApr47-1.jpg
DesignDetailApr47-2.jpg
DesignDetailJuly1940-1.jpg
DesignDetailOct1942.jpg
DesignDetailOct1942-2.jpg
DesignDetailOct1942-3.jpg
DesignHandbook1940-1.jpg

Attachments

• DesgnDetail1940-10.jpg
    DesgnDetail1940-10.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 7
Relative to the drawing of the PBY tip float above, a guy I knew found out the hard way about a consequence of that design feature. He recovered a beautifully equipped civilian PBY that sunk circa 1970 off Catalina Island when they accidentally landed in the water with the landing gear down.

They raised the airplane and got it to Long Beach airport. where he fixed it up to the point it could fly to New Orleans to be rebuilt. They had recovered the floats; they had ripped off, and since he had no plans to do any water landings on the way back east he just put the floats and their struts in the aft fuselage. On takeoff he discovered that when you deprive a wing of its lower surface then it ain't a wing no more. He hauled back on the controls but the PBY refused to leave the ground, being deprived of a substantial portion of the lifting surface. Finally he got going fast enough to leave the ground and successfully made it back to NO.

Nice selection. I think I see a few that I don't have.

For background:
During the war years, McGraw-Hill as part of their war effort abstracted published material from Aviation magazine and printed it in what became a series of Aviation's Sketchbook of Design Detail looseleaf collections. Their stated intention was to make details of design and production techniques and details available to professionals in the aviation industry.

From the preface to the Third Editioin:
"In revising this popular Sketchbook for its third edition, Aviation's Editorial Staff have included only those sketches which present a fairly well-rounded picture of the construction details of most types of aircraft engines, armaments and structural parts.
With the continued pressure on the aviation industry for improved design, we feel that this book will be particularly welcome because its extraordinary reference value can easily result in the saving of many valuable hours."

I scanned and cleaned up the First and Third Editions. There are a couple of hundred pages between the two editions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back