Airfix 1/72 Handley Page Hampden....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very much appreciated Evan, thank you kindly!
Love the Airfix Hampden, more for sentimental reasons....
Those AZ/Valom looks great! 👍🏻👌🏼👏🏻😎

No worries mate, and I hear ya on the sentimentality... the second bomber model I made was an Airfix Hampden (narrowly beaten out of 'first' by an Airfix Do 17E/F - box art won me over :) )

This one?

air04014.jpg

Yep!
(got another one in the stash now for my own sentimental reasons... :) )

Clashed posts... got that Cat back in NZ too. Was staying at my grandad's place when I started it, when he looked across suddenly and said 'What's that? Can I see it a minute?' I said 'Sure. It's a Catalina'. He said 'That's the plane that saved me! I remember the big glass bubbles on the side!'
I don't remember when or where, but he said when he was in the Merchant Navy (post war I think), his ship struck a mine and sunk. I don't know if there were any casualties, but he atleast was rescued by the Catalina.

Last edited:
This nostalgia is bringing back memories Jan.
For instance, I remember colouring in a picture as a kid of mixed World War 2 aircraft in one big jumbled scene. There was a Heinkel 111 aswell, so I coloured it in yellow MTO scheme. My Great- grandmother, who lived through both World Wars, said 'They weren't Yellow! They were Green!' :)
It was her, and my grandmother, who told me you could tell when the German bombers were coming, because the engines sounded like they were cutting out.

Another time too, I showed them my Do 17 I mentioned earlier, and when my Great- grandmother saw it top on, she said 'That dosen't look like a pencil...why on earth did they call it that?' My grandmother pointed out that if she looked at it side on, it was very long and thin design. (my Grandmother was a WAAF in WW.2 by the way)

Old memories :)

"The first major raid against mainland Britain was by Heinkel 111s of KG 4 on the night of June 18-19, 1940. The targets were the oil tanks at Thameshaven and airfields in eastern England."

Need to find a "proper" He 111 for this one! 😉

Hello everybody
I'm recording all your messages but , I agree, I'm not nt very active in the forum.
But I register all the news speciaily modelling ones because I'm buiding since1964
Now about 350 models in showcases , equal nuimber in boxes and, as 72 years old , quite .. anxious about their future (trash no doubt ...)

PS :some exceptions as my grand children put a will on some dioramas ... Ok ... enough ! thank you Modeler's God !)

I built the old airfix Hamden some years ago and replacing it still remains in my wishes
So thanks
I have the Valom one , not the AZ
I am suspicious about Valom's Models justr see my "USSR goulag I did " for some years on :

this is a french 1/72 scale forum ; if not registered you will not see my pictures but anyway see uy finished Valom (trap kit :!!) Albemarlethe only one I will try is tyhe Bistol Bombay beca[/

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want, I would agree to give my access to the french site to any (personal ) interested modeller (all my "crazy works" on the Valom Albemarle are inside) , just you've have to ask on a private message and translate the texts ....

To know : I'm just on the end stage ( but suffering for months) on 2 Duich models
> Fokker G.1 Micromodel (a lot to say after abandoning the MPM one)
> Douglas DB-8 special Hobby dutch dive bombre

both made (with complications ) together , a nighmare
christian

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back