Alternate armaments for Italian and Japanese fighter

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bravo for Japan on the ROF increase I suppose. My point though is twin Vickers in 1941? That's the best you can do?
Bravo to Vickers.

The Japanese licensed the Vickers model E which Vickers had developed from the WW I guns by the late 20s.
I don't know when the Japanese started work on the 12.7mm machine gun.
A lot of the aircraft guns used in WW II seemed to take 3-6 years from start of a project to large scale production.
The Ki-43 may have specified to use twin 7.7mm Vickers guns but perhaps the 12.7mm guns were being developed simultaneously?
Perhaps they ran a bit late?

A lot of the aircraft guns used in WW II seemed to take 3-6 years from start of a project to large scale production.
The Ki-43 may have specified to use twin 7.7mm Vickers guns but perhaps the 12.7mm guns were being developed simultaneously?
Perhaps they ran a bit late?

Seems like the availability and reliability of the 12.7mm cannon were not the best. Barrels were prone to burst, thus in some instances Japanese mixed 1 MG and 1 cannon so the Ki-43 can function as a fighter even if a bigger weapon is out.
(Japanese seemed to call the 12.7mm as cannon, probably since it also fired the fused explosive ammo)
FWIW: link

To the IJAF's credit, with their twin .303s they achieved remarkable success against the Buffaloes, P-36s, Hurricanes and Fokker D.XXI.

In 2018 I visited the Boeing field flight museum and stood beside their Ki-43 Oscar. I was surprised at just how small it was compared to the Corsair, Thunderbolt and Hellcat nearby.

One source I read stated the guns on Ki-43 could be whatever combination the pilot wanted. A 7.7 could be taken out and a 12.7 installed. It has been so long ago I don't know which book now. My impression was that it was not a problem to do this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back