Atlas V Launch from Cape Canaveral 8 Aug 2019

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
Nice twilight phenomenon!
AtlasV8Aug2019 004.jpg

AtlasV8Aug2019 012.jpg

Yes, when I was at VAFB this kind of thing was common. I recall one night I was going to bed and heard a Minutemen launch. I looked out the window, saw it go up.and then the Sun over the horizon hit it. It lit up so brightly that I knew right away people would be thinking it had exploded.

Sure enough, in a few minutes the phone rang. It was a friend, working at the local TV station, asking if a rocket had blown up. I told her it was twilight phenomenon, the Sun hitting the rocket in the dark sky. I set up the VCR to record the TV news and the next morning watched them come on and say that there had been reports of an explosion but that a "local missile expert" had said it was the Sun hitting the rocket.

Here is a shot of another Atlas V from the Cape on 2 Sep 2015.

Attachments

• AtlasV2Sep2015-2.jpg
    AtlasV2Sep2015-2.jpg
    793.3 KB · Views: 125
While attending AFROTC training at VAFB in 1978, during a briefing we were having, there was a much louder than normal launch event (later confirmed to be a KH satellite on Titan-3D). Everything stopped due to the sound and shaking. I asked "what was that?"

The instructor, without missing a beat, replied "What was what? I didn't hear anything, and neither did you!"

Ah... life at Vandyland... always interesting.

On one launch of a classified mission in 1987, we were told that morning that a hundred or so boy scouts had been delivered to Jalama Beach Park, a location too close to the launch trajectory, AFTER the area had been cleared.

So the scouts were told that the USAF was going to provide them with a free breakfast at the base dining hall and buses were dispatched to pick them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back