Fairey Swordfish forward slats

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mar 25, 2016
Salem, Oregon
I've read a thread from 2010 in this forum regarding the leading edge slats but the conversation was mostly about the BF109. The OP did query about the stringbag but the answers supplied did not satisfy my need to know whether or not the slats were always open/deployed when the aircraft was at rest.

Here are some photos I found on the 'net where it looks like, to me, the slats are not deployed or are only deployed by an inch or so. If this is the case would I be forgiven for not modeling the Swordfish with its leading edge slats deployed while it's at rest?

Royal Navy Historic Flight: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Stock Photo - Fairey Swordfish biplane in Fleet Air Arm markings on display at Duxford Airshow 2012
W5856 | Fairey Swordfish Mk.I | United Kingdom - Royal Navy Historic Flight | n94504 | JetPhotos

Royal Navy "Historic Flight" Fairey Swordfish II photo by SilverWingPix

Royal Navy "Historic Flight" Fairey Swordfish II photo by flyer1

My old eyes may have deceived me when I looked at the photos I've linked above so I would appreciated any definitive answers any of you feel you might share with me.

I was very impressed with Andy's WIP on his Fairey Swordfish and noted the scratch work he did for modeling the slats open. I, however, am not in his league as far as modeling is concerned and would love an excuse to not model the slats deployed.

Thanks,
Mike

I just checked out models on a few other sites and there would actually seem to be very little need to worry about it. Good luck with your build.

I appreciate your opinion. I will have enough to be concerned about just getting the rigging straight.

In a PM I sent Andy (not knowing if if was a private message or not) I asked the same question and Andy replied suggesting that perhaps the slats in the pictures I'd linked had been pushed back in by hand while the aircraft was parked. He also said he thought the slats in one of the photos I linked might be partially deployed. I am sure he's correct there. I suppose that, having enough to worry about with the rest of the build, I'll not fret about open/closed leading edge slats on my build.

Thanks for the good luck wish - I'll need it.

Mike

Last edited:
Mike, if I can offer my 2¢. I built the Mk.I version in another GB and had problems with the P.E. rigging. If I were to do another Swordfish (and I will) I would do one of 2 things. If I use the P.E. set, I will cut off the lower locating tabs and use a very small drop of CA glue to attach it to the lower wing. The other way would be to use a thread like EZ Line...EZ Line: Toys & Hobbies | eBay To attach the line to the wing, turnbuckles http://www.gaspatchmodels.com/products/metal--48.html

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
fubar57,

George isn't it?

I have lots of EZ Line and thought about making the larger diameter work in the case of the stringbag but looking at the pictures/video I can find it just doesn't seem like it would look quite right - even at 1/48 scale. I'm toying with that idea for which I thank you, but, if I actually get going on my model's resurrection, I think I'd give the PE a go - albeit following your suggestion about cutting off the lower locating tabs.

Viewing the Swordfish from several angles in this video (
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUS5Ho5Msyc
), I see that it still looks like it's flat when viewed from port and starboard and like wire when viewed from aft and forward.

When are you going to attempt another Swordfish?

Mike

I agree with you about the rigging, definitely flat. I've got an RCAF subject I want to build as a Mk.II but with 100+ kits waiting, it might be a while

at6, Yes, I hope to give it another try. If you were not aware, I got to near the end stage of building this kit back in 2016 and ended up trashing it. The wires buckled, the braces/struts were giving me fits, and I suppose it was all my fault for not thinking ahead, dry fitting, sanding, and filing enough. Of course those are all the things we modelers take for granted we need to do for a successful build. I just didn't do enough of them.

I used Andy's thread to post a few images of my exhumed stringbag thinking I might help him out but he's such a talented modeler (and courteous as well) that he really didn't need my interjections.

FWIW, here's Andy's thread: <> **** DONE: 1/48 Fairey Swordfish MkII - WW1 / WW2 over Water.

Very kind of you to say Mike, thanks.

The key to using the PE rigging is to secure one end and allow the other to slip in and out of the slot until the wings are lined up and glued. Only then should a drop of CA be added to the loose ends of the rigging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back