**** FINISHED: GB-36 1/72 VL Myrsky II - Axis Manufactured Aircraft of WWII

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

destrozas

Senior Master Sergeant
Jan 12, 2010
Username:destrozas
First name:sergio
Category:intermediate
Scale:1/72
Manufacturer: special hobbies
Model Type:Vl Myrsky II
Addons:none

At the end of the 30s, the Finnish Air Force showed interest in a new high-speed fighter. On June 8, 1939 he signed a contract with the company Valtion Lentokonetehdas (VL) for the development and construction of this aircraft. The design office, led by engineer A. Ylinen, prepared the project for December 1940.

In addition to the Finnish Air Force, the Swedish Air Force was also interested in the plane. A contract was signed to supply the aircraft for both air forces (after receiving the results of the test in 1942, the Swedes refused to supply). During the creation of the aircraft, some design solutions were used by the Dutch Fokker D-XXI fighter (manufactured by VL under license). The aircraft was equipped with an American Pratt & Whitney R-1830-SC3G Twin Wasp engine with a capacity of 1114 hp. and armed with four machine guns of 7.7 mm and two of 12.7 mm. The first prototype of the Myrsky aircraft (MY-1) flew on December 23, 1941.

Until November 1943, the airplane underwent significant changes, after which it could show an acceptable flight performance: the maximum speed of flight reached 519 km / h at an altitude of 3,250 meters, and could reach a height of 5,000 meters in 6.5 minutes . In parallel with this plane were carried out with three copies (MY-2 ... 4) received the designation Myrsky I. The engine of scripting aircraft manufacturing Swedish Svenska Flygmotor STW C-3G (Swedish variant wasp twin). And the weapons consisted of three machine guns (MY-2 and MY-3) or four (MY-4) of 12.7 mm. During the tests, two aircraft were damaged (MY-2 and MY-3), but on February 26, 1944, the MY-4 fighter was transferred to airborne unit HLeLv 26 for military tests.

After the tests, it was decided to launch a serial model of the aircraft with the Myrsky II designation. The first 14 serial aircraft were delivered to the combat units (the first aircraft were transferred to TLeLv 12) until July 1944. These aircraft were used in battles in September 1944. The last aircraft of the series (numbers of MY-47 to MY-51) remained in the company's warehouse and then discarded. In March 1944, a contract was signed for the construction of an improved version of Myrsky III. However, this contract was canceled.

more specifically on the plane on 27/2/44 the plane was already operational and made its inagural flight with a duration of 1 hour next to the my-22, flight tests were performed on 11/16/44, in total the plane from Its entry into operation until the end of the war flew a maximum of 35 hours.

In the meantime, VL had initiated production of the first series model which was referred to as the Myrsky II Series. All the progressive changes that had been introduced in the pre-series aircraft were incorporated, armament was standardised on four 12.7mm LKK/42 guns, and by the end of July 1944 the VL had completed 14 of the II Series aircraft, a further 16 having been delivered by the truce of 4 September. Production continued after the truce and the last five of the 47 built were delivered straight to the Air Force Depot on 30 December 1944 without flight testing. The Myrsky II series was assigned to a tactical reconnaissance squadron (TLeLv 12) which received its first aircraft on 23 July 1944, 20 being delivered to the squadron before the Armistice, and a second squadron (TLeLv 16) initiating conversion to the Myrsky meanwhile. The Myrsky was flown operationally over Lapland against the Wehrmacht under the terms of the Finnish-Soviet agreement, but Ilmavoimat flew this fighter only to a limited extent, and the service's doubts as to its durability and sturdiness, despite continuous reinforcement of various components, finally came to a head on 9 May 1947 when a Myrsky broke up in a dive, all aircraft of this type then being grounded.

original plane

vl_myrsky_1.jpg

my interpretation

36.JPG

37.JPG

38.JPG

39.JPG

40.JPG

41.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back