**** DONE: GB-61 1/48 FM-1 Wildcat - Carrier and Maritime Aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Speaking of "off", that describes my work schedule on the model over the past several days. However, I did manage to continue a bit of detail work in the wheel well area yesterday. I like doing this kind of stuff to learn some of the technical details of my subjects and so I access maintenance manuals and such to give me an idea of what's going on.

One thing that became obvious was the complete lack of a carburetor in the space under the engine plug. With the intercooler ducting temporarily in place, we can see below in the circled area an empty space where the carb should be.

240301101.jpg

The carb was built up of round stock:

240301102.jpg

After the CA glue had set, the carb parts were cut back to enable the intercooler ducting as well as a later in-fill part to fit. Once I knew all would fit, I painted the parts black and installed a couple more fuel lines using solder.

240301103.jpg

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out the routing of the oil lines to and from the oil coolers in the wings and had no success with the many photos to be found on line. I have access to schematics but not actual routing diagrams but eventually found details on Eduard's site that show the routing in the instructions for their excellent Brassin detail set. The oil piping will be my next area of focus and update shots.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks very much friends. Having fun with this for sure. So with the addition of the various oil lines, I've now completed all the piping that I'm going to add in the wheel well. The oil tank had a small sump added on the bottom as well as the sloped filler neck on the side.

240301201.jpg
240301202.jpg
240301203.jpg
240301204.jpg
240301205.jpg

It's hard to tell looking at the above pics but there are, give or take, 18 different bits of solder and lead wire added so far to the base kit to represent various major service lines and cables. Almost done now but I want to add a bit of this mess on the starboard side:

1710355175754.png

Item 1 and the cable coming out of the bottom of it are already done and can be seen in the model pics above. Some of the rest of the tubing and cabling will be added next. Back later with the results of that exercise.

Thanks guys.

Love it Andy. What did you mix to get that colour BTW? White and a touch of Tan?

Evan, the light grey is straight Tamiya XF-83 Medium Sea Grey if that's what you are talking about.

OK, the tubing on the right side of the compartment has been tackled and is now done.

240301301.jpg

Th cockpit is also now finished with a flat coat applied. The tub has now been glued in place. The Interior Green is not so olivey in real life.

240301302.jpg

The wheel well dry-fitted....

240301303.jpg

....and now finally glued in place and clamped to set over night. The fit is spectacular!

240301304.jpg

Things should progress quickly now with the fuselage halves being joined tomorrow. I may even get the wings on. The engine will see the ignition wires added before I install it so hopefully I'll get some pics up tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back