German m35 dual decal q64 Luftwaffe Adler 2 helmet

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TheCuriousOne

Recruit
Oct 9, 2023
I don't know if this is the right place for this or not..
The info that I have about the helmet is in the title. That is about the extent of what I can find, here's pictures of the lot number and model. I would love for somebody to tell me more about this helmet or tell me how to find out!
There is a small handwritten word that I can't seem to find in any German vocabulary per that era, one thing that caught my eye was the B and the Z with a line through it. Thanks in advance for your help!
IMG_2127.jpeg
IMG_2120.png
IMG_2121.png
IMG_2119.png

Welcome to the site.

The standard M35 Stahlhelm - military steel combat helmet. The F.W. Quist, G.m.b.H. Esslingen factory made the shell size 64 helmet (Q64) with the lot/batch/serie number 3233. The small handwritten word "Bƶdega" doesn't seem to be in the German but in Polish. The Germans don't use the "Ƶ,ƶ"="Ż,ż" letter. IMHO that's the name of the helmet owner. Perhaps the guy, it belonged to, could be of the Polish roots. Actually the word looks quite modern. I would say it could be a post-war addition.

Also if you check on the front rivets looking from the helmet inside you may find the year the helmet was made in. Since 1940 only one decal was applied on the left side of an M35. Your one has both of the decals what means it had been made before 1940. As memo serves the date you also may find stamped on the aluminium liner. Additionally there should be the head size the helmet was for. A couple of the ink stamps may be found on the inner side of the lether as well.

rivet.jpg

Welcome to the site.

The standard M35 Stahlhelm - military steel combat helmet. The F.W. Quist, G.m.b.H. Esslingen factory made the shell size 64 helmet (Q64) with the lot/batch/serie number 3233. The small handwritten word "Bƶdega" doesn't seem to be in the German but in Polish. The Germans don't use the "Ƶ,ƶ"="Ż,ż" letter. IMHO that's the name of the helmet owner. Perhaps the guy, it belonged to, could be of the Polish roots. Actually the word looks quite modern. I would say it could be a post-war addition.

Also if you check on the front rivets looking from the helmet inside you may find the year the helmet was made in. Since 1940 only one decal was applied on the left side of an M35. Your one has both of the decals what means it had been made before 1940. As memo serves the date you also may find stamped on the aluminium liner. Additionally there should be the head size the helmet was for. A couple of the ink stamps may be found on the inner side of the lether as well.

View attachment 740840
Thank you so very much for your informative reply, I can't wait to put my hands back on it. I will definitely post the new findings! Any recommendations on removing the surface rust? Or is it best to leave it alone?

My pleasure.

Regarding the rust ... IMHO it is not possible to remove it without damaging of the paint and decals. To get a better appearance of the helmet you may use an oil or vaseline. But I would suggest checking it on the small surface inside the rim firstly. Also the more of attention should be paid to the decals in order to not damage or destroy them. However , the "lubrication" isn't permanent and has to be repeated ever and again. So I would leave it as it is. Just keep the helmet at a dry location.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back