Hawker Tempest Mk2 paint colors

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tempest Fighter

Recruit
Jun 11, 2019
Hello, we are trying to determine the correct paint colors, inside and out for our Tempest build. Any help would be appreciated. I have attached a copy of known aircraft history. You will notice this is believed to be the first Tempest 2 delivered from Bristol. ;)

Thank you

Jamie

Attachments

• Tempest History Pic.jpeg
    Tempest History Pic.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 253
It's 1944 so I would say colours for the standard RAF day fighter camouflage. The Dark Green/ the Ocean Grey on tops and and the Medium Sea Grey for the undersides.. The cockpit interior of the Night.

It's 1944 so I would say colours for the standard RAF day fighter camouflage. The Dark Green/ the Ocean Grey on tops and and the Medium Sea Grey for the undersides..

Thank you for the info. Does anybody have paint codes? Also looking for internal paint, colors for back side of cowls and such. I have attached a few pics of the progress...

file1.jpeg
file2.jpeg
file-3 (1).jpeg

The Dark Green FS 34079
The Ocean Grey FS 36187
The Medium Sea Grey FS 36270

If you haven't thought about it already, I'd suggest you contact some of the major aircraft restorers in the UK such as the Aircraft Restoration Company. In my discussions with Steve Aitkin at Warbird Colour, custom formulations have been made for their projects based on combinations of modern FS and BS paint standards. Companies like Steve's would no doubt have formulations already made for the standard camouflage colours. Keep in mind that it's not only about colour but also the level of "flatness". Many owners of modern warbirds like a glossy finish as it's easier to maintain though it may not be authentic. Flatter finishes retain dust and dirt more easily so it's something you will need to think about.

I remember reading somewhere (possibly in 'Fly Past'magazine) some time back, that the 'modern' matt paints used on recent Spitfire restorations are more tolerant to dirt and staining, and it's probable that the company mentioned by Andy, above, could advise on this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back