ISIS Drones

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Curses...blocked

upload_2018-1-21_20-10-37.png

I've been trying to find the one where Iraqi forces shot down a Phantom 2 rigged with a release mechanism. DJI can geolock their drones and I believe the whole region is locked down but it can be bypassed, the only thing is you won't have GPS stabilization.

Yep - pretty innovative SOBs.

ISIS aside from being terrorists are basically guerilla fighters: It's foolish to underestimate how dangerous such combatants can be... frankly they scare the shit out of me.

There were reports about small drones with light "bomb load" in Ukrainian war since the fall of 2014. On both sides of the front line. Models were either completely new or heavily field modified commercial versions. In terms of efficiency, drones with incendiaries were probably the most successful so far.

I've been trying to find the one where Iraqi forces shot down a Phantom 2 rigged with a release mechanism. DJI can geolock their drones and I believe the whole region is locked down but it can be bypassed, the only thing is you won't have GPS stabilization.

Geofencing that sophisticated did not show up in the DJI series until about the Phantom 3 or so. Earlier versions did not have hard fencing. So assuming you do not update firmware or software such early versions would not try to stop you from flying. Buying a used 2 or 3 you could roll back the firmware to pre-fenced conditions.

There are several "levels" of geofencing that go on with the DJI products, from warnings that can be bypassed by simply acknowledging them to out-right no-fly-zones, where the software will not let you take off for any reason.

Todays Phantom 4 Pro or Mavic Pro might be a bit of a problem, until you removed the GPS antenna…maybe. I am not even sure the system will let you fly in that condition, I have never tried.

Any of the later DJI products aare very stable and easy to fly, even if GPS lock is lost.

Any of these should be able to lift something like a grenade in a mason jar. I have not tried a lift test with my Mavic Pro Platinum, but my P4P can lift over 3 lbs and I have flown it with various payloads slung under it.

However once you step outside DJI products the point becomes almost moot. DJI is a leader in forcing flight restriction compliance on the hobbyist (and marketing rogue drone detection and tracking to the authorities), but DJI is not the only game in town, just the easiest and most well-known.

The ease of use of things like the DJI series are the forces driving drone regulations. In the past building the hardware and learning to fly took time and effort. Today anyone with $1k can walk into Best Buy, purchase a quad-copter, charge the batteries, and fly it around for an extended time in the approach of LAX. The learning curve and timeline necessary for that first controlled flight into hazardous air space has been reduced to essentially nothing.

But if you don't want to go the DJI route, for the cost of a Phantom 4 Pro you can source parts and build a much more capable drone, with no geofencing or flight restictions. For the cost of a full up DJI Inspire and accessories you could build a multirotor with no geo restrictions, all the GPS and autopilot capability you want, longer control and visual link ranges, and the ability to carry over 10 lbs aloft. For about the same cost you could build a fixed wing drone capable of delivering a real payload.

While it is true this would take some moderate skill level to assemble, we are not talking rocket science here. And once assembled and tweaked the skill requirements to operate are even less.

T!

Geofencing that sophisticated did not show up in the DJI series until about the Phantom 3 or so. Earlier versions did not have hard fencing. So assuming you do not update firmware or software such early versions would not try to stop you from flying. Buying a used 2 or 3 you could roll back the firmware to pre-fenced conditions.

There are several "levels" of geofencing that go on with the DJI products, from warnings that can be bypassed by simply acknowledging them to out-right no-fly-zones, where the software will not let you take off for any reason.

Todays Phantom 4 Pro or Mavic Pro might be a bit of a problem, until you removed the GPS antenna…maybe. I am not even sure the system will let you fly in that condition, I have never tried.

Any of the later DJI products aare very stable and easy to fly, even if GPS lock is lost.

Any of these should be able to lift something like a grenade in a mason jar. I have not tried a lift test with my Mavic Pro Platinum, but my P4P can lift over 3 lbs and I have flown it with various payloads slung under it.

However once you step outside DJI products the point becomes almost moot. DJI is a leader in forcing flight restriction compliance on the hobbyist (and marketing rogue drone detection and tracking to the authorities), but DJI is not the only game in town, just the easiest and most well-known.

The ease of use of things like the DJI series are the forces driving drone regulations. In the past building the hardware and learning to fly took time and effort. Today anyone with $1k can walk into Best Buy, purchase a quad-copter, charge the batteries, and fly it around for an extended time in the approach of LAX. The learning curve and timeline necessary for that first controlled flight into hazardous air space has been reduced to essentially nothing.

But if you don't want to go the DJI route, for the cost of a Phantom 4 Pro you can source parts and build a much more capable drone, with no geofencing or flight restictions. For the cost of a full up DJI Inspire and accessories you could build a multirotor with no geo restrictions, all the GPS and autopilot capability you want, longer control and visual link ranges, and the ability to carry over 10 lbs aloft. For about the same cost you could build a fixed wing drone capable of delivering a real payload.

While it is true this would take some moderate skill level to assemble, we are not talking rocket science here. And once assembled and tweaked the skill requirements to operate are even less.

T!
All good! I own or owned 8 DJI products, currently fly a P3P and Mavic commercially and make good "beer money" doing it!

There were reports about small drones with light "bomb load" in Ukrainian war since the fall of 2014. On both sides of the front line. Models were either completely new or heavily field modified commercial versions. In terms of efficiency, drones with incendiaries were probably the most successful so far.
Well yeah, history has shown that incendiaries are often far more effective (pound for pound) than bombs. Look at Hamburg and Dresden

Well yeah, history has shown that incendiaries are often far more effective (pound for pound) than bombs. Look at Hamburg and Dresden

Probably. In this particular war, a dozen or so of drones with capacity 3-5 kg are able to make damage worth of hundred mln USD in attacks on ammo depots (open air storage is typical to ex USSR). Those depots will be protected, but same methods and tech will be used against soft targets (civilian, industrial, agricultural, forestry, shipping) eventually, I'm afraid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back