Ju87 Part ? Pitomnik Airfield

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BFreer

Airman
Sep 24, 2020
A few years ago I picked up this piece of RLM 76 painted metal from Stalingrad. It was sold as Ju87 but there are so few images of the Ju87 and no part number that I cannot be 100% sure.

I can see it on this article 6th image down - so possibly the chap who found it.

There is a Werknummer on it which would suggest it was from one of the higher production aircraft and also from the L ( Links ) side of the aircraft and also removable.

The RLM76 also narrows it down further.

Looking at Ju87 manuals I see a lot of openings under the fuselage around the bomb hoist and from the look of the holes in thsi panel it was also field modified.

Can anyone confirm its identity ? Ju87/109 etc.

Attachments

• panel.jpg
    panel.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 47
  • werknummer.jpg
    werknummer.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
Thanks to all of you,

I totally agree that colours light fade over time - especially those using red pigments - up until the development of the diketopyroolopyrroles by Ciba in the 1970's ( There are no original red Ferraris from before then) but the blues especially those based on copper phthalocyanine are extremely light stable as are many of the inorganic pigments. I am a chemist and I have worked in colour chemistry so have some understanding of the vaguaries of paint fading.

After two decades and many hundreds of aircraft parts from all over the world I can usually spot the country of origin from the paints and construction and I am confident that this is a German RLM 76 panel. I have had some P-40 and Spitfire mk IX that was on the tundra - there was a lot of fading on the upper surface but minimal on the unexposed surface. I recently had another panel from Pitomnik that had traces of RLM65 and RLM70 and was from a Luftwaffe transport.I also have some original Ju52 in the store in very good RLM 70/71.

Snautzer I have had several pieces of US and German aircraft where the aircraft ident was hand painted onto the interior. I also had two Ju87 machine gun wing panels I thought that I recalled that they had the werknummer of the aircraft also on the inside skin with R or L also on them- perhaps I am mistaken.

Found the pics of one off the Ju87 MG hatches I had - sorry the aircraft werknummer was also painted on Different number on the other one I had.

Attachments

• DSC_0011 (14).JPG
    DSC_0011 (14).JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
  • DSC_0009_edited-1 (1).JPG
    DSC_0009_edited-1 (1).JPG
    901.7 KB · Views: 40
Thanks to all of you,

I totally agree that colours light fade over time - especially those using red pigments - up until the development of the diketopyroolopyrroles by Ciba in the 1970's ( There are no original red Ferraris from before then) but the blues especially those based on copper phthalocyanine are extremely light stable as are many of the inorganic pigments. I am a chemist and I have worked in colour chemistry so have some understanding of the vaguaries of paint fading.

After two decades and many hundreds of aircraft parts from all over the world I can usually spot the country of origin from the paints and construction and I am confident that this is a German RLM 76 panel. I have had some P-40 and Spitfire mk IX that was on the tundra - there was a lot of fading on the upper surface but minimal on the unexposed surface. I recently had another panel from Pitomnik that had traces of RLM65 and RLM70 and was from a Luftwaffe transport.I also have some original Ju52 in the store in very good RLM 70/71.

Snautzer I have had several pieces of US and German aircraft where the aircraft ident was hand painted onto the interior. I also had two Ju87 machine gun wing panels I thought that I recalled that they had the werknummer of the aircraft also on the inside skin with R or L also on them- perhaps I am mistaken.
This is a factory stamp. In the metal so i really think its acquality stamp for the metal. Not to do with the wrknr of the plane.

I totally agree that it is a stamp that was applied in the factory!.

I was just saying that the werknummers were written on the aircraft parts in s variety of styles - as I assume they were all custom made for the airframe and had to go back onto the same machine. Hence why teh Ju88, Ju867 and P51 parts I mentioned had the serial number added at some point post manufacture.

Please can we revert to my original question as to what it is from ? Ju87 or other ?

Sure. It was not what you said in #1. But ok.
I would like to see a close up for the fastner front and back.
Fot the painting of wrknr: there are all sorts full nummer last 4 didgets of the wrknr etc. I did a lot off research in wrecks mostly german. I stopped doing this on public boards as i saw pieces i (and others) id went on ebay for good money. So i have done some miles.

Its not a wrknr. Perhaps inspector stamp

Not an inspection stamp either for certain.

It would appear to be a part number and the L probably indicates Links (Left hand). One would have to know both the Junkers part numbering system and the numbers used on the Ju-87 to identify if that is a Ju-87 part from that number.

It could also be a stamp indicating the metal batch number - the Brits did that but I have no idea if the Germans also did it

Not an inspection stamp either for certain.

It would appear to be a part number and the L probably indicates Links (Left hand). One would have to know both the Junkers part numbering system and the numbers used on the Ju-87 to identify if that is a Ju-87 part from that number.

It could also be a stamp indicating the metal batch number - the Brits did that but I have no idea if the Germans also did it
It is an inspector stamp. For the metal used. Certainly not a wrknr. Seen it before.

Attached some more pics.

The stamped numbers/letters are 7mm high and varied in relative position - far larger and less aligned than what I would normally expect to see.

The hatch has reinforcing and remains of where the chain was.

The lozenge reinforcers around the mounting holes are just reinforcing plates for an M5 stud.

Attachments

• hatch.jpg
    hatch.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 25
  • number.jpg
    number.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • reinforcer.jpg
    reinforcer.jpg
    774.3 KB · Views: 26
The "lozege" is an anchor nut that appears to have lost the threaded grommet. British aircraft had tons of these in them and not sure what German ones had.

AN366Fm.jpg

Crimea the British Lozenge/captive nuts were used on the inside of the airframe - from the paint these appear to be on the outside and there is no suggestion of missing parts except traces of where a washer once was.

Just remembered that I had an Me 109 Belly pan a few years back that had similar sized and font of stamping - numbers running 1 to 10 that to my mind looked more like fieldwork than factory.

This was from a 109G that was recovered in Germany.

Attachments

• DSC_0050.jpeg
    DSC_0050.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC_0054.jpeg
    DSC_0054.jpeg
    110.2 KB · Views: 27
It has been at least 7 years since I got this piece from Stalingrad - but I am pleased to say that tenacity has paid off and I can finally identify it.
It is the side covering from an ETC 500 Bomb rack as shown in the images below. Possibly Ju87 ( both images are form Ju87) but possibly others but as it is painted RLM 76 unlikely to be any of the larger aircraft.

Attachments

• BW-photo-Universal-wing-mounted-Schloss-1000-500kg-bomb-rack-or-250-50kg-bomb-ejector-rack-01.jpg
    BW-photo-Universal-wing-mounted-Schloss-1000-500kg-bomb-rack-or-250-50kg-bomb-ejector-rack-01.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 16.30.13.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 16.30.13.png
    83.3 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back