Lockheed PV-1 Ventura

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

commish118

Recruit
Apr 2, 2019
My father flew in a US Navy Venture during WW2, doing shore patrols. I recently bought a model of the plane. On the model, the port engine has a smaller prop then the starboard engine. Is the model incorrect, or was it common to have one prop larger than the other?

I agree. What is the brand of the model ?
It came put together and mounted on a stand. It is from Mastercraft Collection, LLC.

Attachments

• 20190403_092840.jpg
    20190403_092840.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 269
I see. It seems that the difference in the prop diameters could be cause by the manufacturer. Or one of the props was replaced due to its damaging etc.... Anyway, the props should be of the same diameter.

I see. It seems that the difference in the prop diameters could be cause by the manufacturer. Or one of the props was replaced due to its damaging etc.... Anyway, the props should be of the same diameter.
Thanks!!!

I've nothing useful to add. Just wanted to note that the Ventura in all of its forms is one of my favorite twin-engined aircraft. "Elegantly graceful" is the phrase that always comes to mind.

Wish there were more kits of it (along with Douglas' twin-engined designs and Martin's Marauder), but sales will always favor Mustangs, Spitfires, and 109s, so I can't really blame manufacturers.

I've nothing useful to add. Just wanted to note that the Ventura in all of its forms is one of my favorite twin-engined aircraft. "Elegantly graceful" is the phrase that always comes to mind.

Wish there were more kits of it (along with Douglas' twin-engined designs and Martin's Marauder), but sales will always favor Mustangs, Spitfires, and 109s, so I can't really blame manufacturers.
I would love to see one in person.

My father finished WW2 as a Chief Petty Officer First Class. and was an Aviation Radioman. I believe there is a restored Ventura in Sanford, Fl. I would love to see one, knowing that was the plane my father flew in. Can anyone confirm if there is one there, or anywhere else?

Hey commish118,

I am not aware of any PV-1 airframes that have been completely restored, or at least to the point where people can take a tour of them. There are however several PV-2 airframes that have been restored more or less completely. The last I knew there was one each in the Palm Springs Air Museum (Palm Springs CA), Pima Air & Space Museum (Tucson AZ), and the National Naval Aviation Museum (Pensacola FL). The PV-2 had a greater wingspan&area, modified tail, and a bunch of detail modifications, but the interior is approximately the same depending on the equipment fitted so should give you a feel for what your father dealt with as far as the aircraft itself goes?? Good luck.

Hey MiTasol and commish118,

Hopefully my information is out of date, but as far as I know the last PV-1 that was flyable became unflyable in the early-2000s (2008??) due to engine failure/forced landing and subsequent lack of funds. There may be some civil/business conversions by Howard still flying, but I have not heard about any lately.

Lone Star Flight Museum had a PV-2 prior to the hurricane several years ago. There is a picture posted on my Medium Bomber Photos thread. Nice looking bird.

Hey MiTasol and commish118,

Hopefully my information is out of date, but as far as I know the last PV-1 that was flyable became unflyable in the early-2000s (2008??) due to engine failure/forced landing and subsequent lack of funds. There may be some civil/business conversions by Howard still flying, but I have not heard about any lately.

You are probably right. Unfortunately Wiki is not known for keeping up to date

Hey MiTasol,

I did some checking, and there is a PV-1 still on display at the SAAF museum at AFB Ysterplaat in Cape Town, South Africa. It was a UK GR.5 type and was used by the SAAF until long after the war, so it would have a much later Commonwealth equipment fit/interior arrangement. It is not flight worthy but they do allow people to enter the aircraft. They say to always call ahead and make sure ahead of time that the aircraft is available for public access. The contact info is at the link below.

Cape Town Museum | South African Air Force Museum

Users who are viewing this thread

Back