Maybe It's A Good Idea?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
s-l640.jpg

614E5abIxOL._AC_UY395_.jpg

What else is out there?

Depends on exactly what you want to do. I've got better close up vision without my glasses, but for some things I need more. I've tried the visors and can't ever get them set right for me. Next thing I'm trying is a macro camera and monitor. I do a lot of borescope stuff at work, so not looking directly at what I'm working on, is not a problem for me.

I've tried a lot of magnifying aids as my near vision dims with age (my workspace looks like a ballpark lit for a night game). A big lens/circular fluorescent lamp combo on a drafting light arm (as you might see at a jeweler's workbench) is a good solution for some work because I can fix it at its focal length above the workpiece. I've tried the LED visor lenses too. The LED added little to my mixed lighting (which I prefer for color accuracy and depth of view and occasionally warmth) and the lens left me always struggling for the right focal length for sharp focus. For those to work well I had to hold my head and the workpiece still.
Lately I picked up some $20 Foster Grant cheaters at 3.25x magnification. I've always worn glasses and these are not uncomfortable and I more naturally have objects in focus. They're particularly useful when handling larger objects. One drawback: if I forget to take regular breaks to rest my eyes and look around, great whanging headaches will remind me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back