Me109C on its nose

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gary Cain

Senior Airman
Nov 25, 2022
I came across this while going through my photo archive. Anyone know some further history on it?

Attachments

• DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 28
To begin with ... it is not Bf 109C but the Bf 109E. Judging by the spinner and the cockpit hood that's E-3 at least. I would say the E-4 or E-7. The camouflage type and the quick ID yellow markings indicate the BoB late period. IMHO 1940/41.

To begin with ... it is not Bf 109C but the Bf 109E. Judging by the spinner and the cockpit hood that's E-3 at least. I would say the E-4 or E-7. The camouflage type and the quick ID yellow markings indicate the BoB late period. IMHO 1940/41.
Hmmm, ok, I was lead to believe it was a C model because it was armed with only 4 machine guns.

And here her port side ...

View attachment 733071
the source: the net.
That's cool. Any other history?

Hmmm, ok, I was lead to believe it was a C model because it was armed with only 4 machine guns.

The Cezar variant was armed with four guns but these mounted in the wings didn't have barrels protruded from the leading edge. Also the E-1 had the same armament and the wing ones looked the same. Beginning the E-3 the 20mm MG-FF canons were introduced and their barrels were protruding from. In the pic you may see them. Additionallt the Bf 109C was powered by the Junkers Jumo 210 Ga engine what resulted in the characteristic large air intake to the radiator under the aircraft nose ( like for Berta and Dora ) and the prop was of two baldes only. Here you may see the three blade prop , the spinner closed type, and the small oil radiator under the nose typical for the DB 601 engine. The cockpit hood is of the later squares type. The Cezar had it more rounded at the top.

My pleasure ...:)

Looking at these images I would say she was recovered. The damages don't seem to be too serious. The prop had to be replaced with a new one. It can be noticed that the reason for the crash was the soft ground and the port landing wheel that dug into.

My pleasure ...:)

Looking at these images I would say she was recovered. The damages don't seem to be too serious. The prop had to be replaced with a new one. It can be noticed that the reason for the crash was the soft ground and the port landing wheel that dug into.

I agree about returning her to service. The engine would have had to be rebuilt or replaced as well thanks to the prop strike, but other than that I don't see a lot of damage.

Yes. I agree. The engine might have needed some works or replacing as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back