RAF Type "A" or Type "B" scheme

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

swampfox16

Airman
Dec 30, 2018
Louisville, Kentucky USA
Greetings -
I am entering the painting stage of an Airfix 1/48th scale Hawker Hurricane. My planned markings are those of F/O W.L. McKnight DFC, January 1941. His aircraft number was P2961 which ends in an "odd" number.
I have some references that seem to be in conflict. One says "odd" number received the Type "B" Dark Green/Dark Earth scheme where the other states the number received the Type "A".
If anyone can shed some light on the matter before I begin applying paint, I would be most appreciative.
Thanks in advance!

The 'A' Scheme was used on aircraft with the serial ending in an odd number, although there were some exceptions.
McKnights aircraft is known to have carried the 'A' scheme, as shown in the profile below, from the Osprey 'Hurricane Aces' book.

Huuri MkKnight.jpg

I'm going to say "A" scheme. Aviaeology does a decal sheet with McKnight's aircraft in that scheme and those guys are pretty good with there reference material
The 'A' Scheme was used on aircraft with the serial ending in an odd number, although there were some exceptions.
McKnights aircraft is known to have carried the 'A' scheme, as shown in the profile below, from the Osprey 'Hurricane Aces' book.

View attachment 579639
I appreciate the information. I went to the Aviaeology site and made notes form their comments on McKnight's aircraft. The decal set I have is the Sky Models Hawker Hurricane Pt. 1. Type "A" Scheme it is then.
Another question if you don't mind? The demarcation of the "Night" on the underside. Did it go THROUGH the radiator or just across the top of the of the fairing? Photos in the Aero Detail 12 (Hawker Hurricane) shows the paint into radiator fairing and across half the face of the radiator itself. I've become a bit jaded at photos of schemes painted today. Thanks for your help!

Sorry quote posted too fast

I am coming again on RAF schemes A & B cam rules

I encountered the same problem while building an Airfix Blenheim Mk. IF in 2018.
I built the RE - P of 229 squadron in March 1940 , with standard cam and B/W undersides

It's usually known that the "A scheme" was applied on even serial planes and the "B Scheme" on the odd ones. RE°P is called having the K7181 ( so odd) serial and the B scheme ( as it has to be) is drawn on the X tra decals profile, as on page 83 of the recent excellent ((Red Kite Ed) book from Alan Price.

This one:

img20200507_10134787.jpg

But several, quite not always perfect quality, photos exist of that plane, often together with others (unknown serial) in flight. But several, quite not always perfect quality, photos exist of that plane, often together with others (unknown serial) in flight. So see here photo 1 from Cam&Markings n°7 and see 3 more photos in A. Price book:

So In my opinion, studying the photos, RE- P wears the not the B but the "A scheme"….
So what's the truth ? is the serial false ? you can read in A. Price's book on page 82 the sentence "RE-P", reputed to be K7181" ….

I painted my kit with A scheme and without serial (many times overpainted on these planes), so ….

Following 3 pictures of my kit
Note that hard surgery was done on the Airfix heavy nacelles errors because they based theitr kit on Duxfoird's restauration plane which is , in fact , a Bolingbroke.

I fortunately had wonderful informations about that through 2015 hyperscale forum posts, while I was just before stciking the wings to the plane's fuselage , so I checked my saw ….
And afterwards I did the same on Airfix's Mk.IV
An afterwards again, Airfix didn't tell about his mistake but brought out a totally correct 1/48 one …..
I somebody is interested I can send the links for modification and more proof photos. (not for beginner modellers … !)

Blenheim MK.I  (9) 229 Sq 1940.JPG

Blenheim MK.I  (11) 229 Sq 1940.JPG

Blenheim MK.I  (12) 229 Sq 1940.JPG

To finish , although present at the 2018 Telford Competition desk , this Airfix model is , unfortunately, wrong : see the too round and "bubbling" nacelles

20181111_153415comp.jpg

Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back