Real paint scheme for fw190 D9 <4

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wildsau

Senior Airman
Oct 22, 2019
I'm looking for some help on painting for the Dora 9 that was in Jg300 code black chevron 4. Apparently this aircraft was originally in Jg6 but has no indication of defence bands for the group. It was either never painted with bands or it was painted over completely. Sources on the net say it was a light colour band painted over.

So like so many discussions of this topic there us much conflicting information.

Hopefully a consensus can be reached, I wouldn't go anywhere else for accurate information.

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-Black-Chevron-4-WNr-500xxx-Berlin-Germany-May-1945-0A.jpg

Did the spinner have the spiral?
Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-Black-Chevron-4-WNr-500xxx-graphic-rendition-BOS-02.jpg

There are a few different colour schemes suggested fuselage rlm76 or something like a blue green very similar to rlm 02. Top of wings could be rlm 82 and rlm 83 or rlm 75 with rlm 82.

Is Eduard's interpretation accurate?

Focke-Wulf-Fw-190D9-Stab-JG6-Prag-Rusin-Czechoslovakia-May-1945-0A.jpg

Last edited:
Yes there is the another shot of the <4-+-- in your thread and of much better quality than the one I found . However , judging by the serials the <4 + and the <4-+-- were two different kites.

1573646674978-png.png

I'm interested to hear what people believe are the actual colours used. I have seen all the available photos on the net but along with these comes a range of colour interpretations.

I'm interested to hear what people believe are the actual colours used. I have seen all the available photos on the net but along with these comes a range of colour interpretations.
Dear Wildsau, personally I would opt for a combination of RLM 81 and 82, according to the period and the aircraft role. The 81 probably used to overpaint the fuselage section intended for the Reichsverteidigung bands, as well as to apply a mottled pattern on the tail (however just one spot is shown in available photographs). The 82 instead is applied over the whole fuselage to me, a part from the engine and MG 131 cowlings that could be both in RLM 81 as well. It was a common feature for both Fw 190 D and Ta 152 H...However it's just a supposition since it is really jard to be accurate with the few photos of this aircraft.

Don't expect consensus ;) Most of the photograhs are in black and white and there is a dearth of actual references.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back